Hmm

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure this one is done much better than most are. The exhaust and tires are only thing that should go back original. The HP on dyno sheet is impressive with 443 @6,400.

I tried to visit their showroom while in Charlotte last year doing the NASCAR drive at the speedway. I got to the showroom and doors locked. Called them on phone and you cannot get in without an appointment no matter what.

That 389 ft.lbs. of torque at 3K isn't bad either, especially for an engine that isn't supposed to have any low end.

So much for that myth (must have been started by the GM crowd).

For sure this one is done much better than most are. The exhaust and tires are only thing that should go back original. The HP on dyno sheet is impressive with 443 @6,400.

I tried to visit their showroom while in Charlotte last year doing the NASCAR drive at the speedway. I got to the showroom and doors locked. Called them on phone and you cannot get in without an appointment no matter what.
David, I'm sure you've seen some of the cars they bring to the to the car shows at the Speedway in Charlottle. Really nice, really expensive!

This Boss really looks good. Way out of my comfort range of the amount of $$ I could spend on a car, but would sure like to add it to my toy box! I like the detail they have gone to on the little things like the air cleaner housing. Granted in it's correct form it looks plain. The single Autolite decal on the driver side is correct. You see a lot of them with the "Front" and "351 CID Ram Air" from the 69-70 GT350 Shelby's plastered on them. Also glad to see they resisted the urge to use the pop open gas cap. Once again it looks good, but is correct only on the (63R) Mach1.

Maybe I need to start a "Go Fund Me" account! :whistling:

They also upgraded the door panels to the Deluxe panels, when in fact if you notice the restoration pics of the interior, the door latch/handle pulls are of the standard model. Nothing else of the interior says "Deluxe Interior" either.

It's also missing the ashtray in the passenger quarter trim panel... which looks like the same ABS panels I bought for mine - the lines seem a little too "extra crispy" on those panels. I don't know if the missing ashtray is a show-stopper or not, but I thought all of our cars had the ashtray. Maybe not... but those still don't look like original quarter trim panels to me.

They keep using the term "correct" for everything, when in fact, "Two Stage" (base coat/clear coat) is not the correct paint. They used the same kind of paint stripper I did on the fender picture.

It's a very nice car, to be sure. But if I'm expected to dump that kind of money on a Boss 351, it had better be absolutely correct and with OEM/NOS stuff... not just 'restored' and claimed to be correct. I'd be more inclined to pay close to that price on a survivor car with a few nicks & dings, slightly faded & worn upholstery, and some rock chips in the glass.

I'm not sure what the best price for this car is... and maybe not even for Boss 351s, either. But I don't think it's THAT far North of $55-60K. Just my opinion. :chin:

Good catch Eric. 1A is the standard black vinyl interior. Guess my eyes got glossed over by the shiny paint. In 71 the rear ash tray was only standard in the Grande, and was included in the Interior Décor and Mach1 Sports Interior options. I like how they showed bare metal before paint photos. A lot of what we have seen in the past was super shiny "Look at Me" paint jobs which we knew was probably hiding bondo queen and cobbled rust repairs. Like I had mentioned in my earlier post, I've seen some of their cars at the Spring and Fall car shows in Charlotte. My friends opinions on RK Motors are divided. Some would buy after a very thorough inspection, others said they would not buy anything from them at all! Agree that at almost 90K car should be 100% correct. Guess now that most of the Shelby's and 69-70 Cobra Jet and Boss cars are out of most of us "Commoners" price range, the 71 Boss and 429 cars are now starting to be recognized.

Eric's observation just goes to show the need for a knowledgeable "assistant" to help you look at these cars. If I had a loose 89K (insert laugh track here) I would be drooling so much over this car I would probably miss all the incorrect items!

Like a Chevy buddy of mine said, Do your homework and bring a friend to help you keep a clear head. He said there are probably more SS Chevelles and Z-28 Camaros on the road now than GM ever built.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric's observation just goes to show the need for a knowledgeable "assistant" to help you look at these cars. If I had a loose 89K (insert laugh track here) I would be drooling so much over this car I would probably miss all the incorrect items!

Like a Chevy buddy of mine said, Do your homework and bring a friend to help you keep a clear head. He said there are probably more SS Chevelles and Z-28 Camaros on the road now than GM ever built.
LOL! Yeah... that didn't work out so well for me. I took my pal Jim with me and he tried as hard as he could to talk me out of buying mine, but I totally blew him off and bought it anyway. A smart man would've listened to him. :whistling:

Honestly, though - I'm still about 95% satisfied things went the way they did. I only have that 5% of 'regret' because it took as long as it did for me to get it done and I could've done a few things a little differently with the same outcome. I'm totally satisfied and happy that mine came out the way it did - there isn't a single inch of that car I'm not 100% intimate with.

But yeah - take a friend and have a second set of eyes to avoid the 'shiny paint/hot rod goggles' syndrome. ::thumb::

Didn't Boss 351s come with manifolds (not headers)? How about Dynomax mufflers?

According to the MSRP sheet and Marti Report, it came with hubcaps and trim rings - not Magnum 500s. I think that BFGs are acceptable tire substitutions according to the MCA standards for some of the competition classes.

I still think the car originally came with standard door panels, not the deluxe door panels (again, evidenced by the standard door handles in the restoration pics).

What are Steel Guard Rails, anyway? Are they the bars inside the doors, or something? (Just curious)

Again - a beautiful car, and a top-notch restoration. ::thumb:: But to command that kind of money, it needs to be closer to original than this one is... just my opinion. :whistling:

It is missing the air bottle for the spare. Generally it is too nice to drive.

I have an original 71' Mustang brochure. It touts the Steel Guard Rail - standard on all 1971 Mustangs. Steel box section door beams help adsorb side impact forces.

It also says 'Boss 351... Ja, das ist eine Blitz-Machine' Too bad Blitz-Machine is too long for a license plate!

Back