Horde old parts, or toss?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredensborg

I like music, languages, weaponry, and freedom.
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
What do you guys generally do with your old parts? Years ago I made the stupid mistake of throwing away the A/C stuff I took off my car…and now I’m gun shy to throw anything away, even stuff that is probably garbage. I still have the old leaf springs and sway bar and all the hardware from last summer when I redid my rear-end…should I just toss it?

Attachments

• 1E712D48-05F8-4238-B7E2-A6DE729A9245.jpeg
    1E712D48-05F8-4238-B7E2-A6DE729A9245.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
I get rid of everything I take off, unfortunately I have sometimes regretted it over the years but I don't like clutter. I usually give any reusable parts away to friends but the rest gets tossed. I can't say it's the best way but it is how I handle the used parts.

For the few minutes it takes I would would post on here and maybe other places like facebook, craigslist or any other local site that you can. Can always list as "pick up only" so you don't have to worry about shipping unless you are willing to package and ship it. There are those out there looking for original equipment or a bargain.

Leaf springs and hardware are usually junk except to someone looking for factory stamped parts.

The rear sway bar has value to it, definitely don't toss that.
That’s kind of what’s I was thinking, I can’t imagine anyone would want my worn out leaf springs. I’ll hang on to that sway bar though just in case someone might be doing a concourse resto and needs one.

Ever since I got burned by tossing that A/C compressor I think twice about this stuff. I still have my original valve covers in the trunk along with some other odds and ends…I might slap those old valve covers back on.

Some parts do wear out, and springs are on that list. Some original parts are too damaged to repair, particularly when good reproduction parts are available (think melted or shattered consoles and dash panels, or fiberboard door panels that got soaked). Other parts just aren't safe anymore, like original suspension bushings, hoses (AC, power steering, radiator, heater, brake and fuel lines) sun damaged seat belts, heavily rusted suspension and brake components, and pretty much any old fastener. The ones to keep are the ones that are in restoreable condition, or parts that are/were rare, like good wiring harnesses, power window parts, rear defog parts, convenience group parts, that sort of thing.

What do you guys generally do with your old parts? Years ago I made the stupid mistake of throwing away the A/C stuff I took off my car…and now I’m gun shy to throw anything away, even stuff that is probably garbage. I still have the old leaf springs and sway bar and all the hardware from last summer when I redid my rear-end…should I just toss it?
I tried to give away brand new parts and used parts before. Nobody thought it was worth the shipping charges. I remember bentworker couldn't give away a trailer load of parts for months. This month I am offering a Motorcraft 2100 D4PE carb that will probably end up in the garbage.

I keep my old parts , I just replaced my whole front suspension, I kept the old parts . The only part that needed replacement were the spring saddles. To replace them the whole thing had to come apart. By keeping the old parts all that is needed is to replace the bushings and I have an extra stock front suspension for later use.

As my car was supposed to be a "one of six" very low optioned car, I keep the stuff that 'could' be restored and re-attached to the car should a future buyer wish to do so. Can't think why, but...........
I kept all the front drum brake stuff, manual steering box, front and rear sway bars, fan and the original Autolite carb I got with the car. If it can be saved, I keep it, otherwise it goes to scrap. However, there was some stuff I should have kept.
On the original rear springs, I believe they can be rebuilt, but I would only trust Eaton's. The problem is, it would cost about the same as new ones, and again, I would only trust Eaton's. Nothing like getting parts made to original prints, materials and specs.

I tossed the old leaf springs because they had been re-arched and one was taller than the other and it gave my Mach 1 a crazy list. I also tossed the engine mounts. That I regret. My 72 apparently had 73 engine mounts but they were worn and in the way when I had my sanderson headers installed as the left side header was rubbing against the left mount. I found out later that I could have sold the mounts for great $$$ as there were not reproduced and very desirable. As these things go, reproduction parts sometimes are out of spec and you have to make many allowances or mods to make them fit. for the exception of the A/C equipment, which was all rotten and the rear springs and mounts, I save EVERYTHING!

This is an example of when I live to regret that I throw things away too soon. I threw away the rear drums and shoes knowing that I was going to replace them when I started reassembly. Now, I am trying to order the new parts and there are two widths offered. Does anyone know how I can determine if I need 10"x2" or 10"x1 3/4" drums and shoes? Good reason not to get rid of old parts I guess.

This is an example of when I live to regret that I throw things away too soon. I threw away the rear drums and shoes knowing that I was going to replace them when I started reassembly. Now, I am trying to order the new parts and there are two widths offered. Does anyone know how I can determine if I need 10"x2" or 10"x1 3/4" drums and shoes? Good reason not to get rid of old parts I guess.
The shoes on my 71 Mach are 10x2" bought from Rock Auto, Raybestos 152PG
If you buy wheel cylinders, check the ones you need. If I remember you need two the same for left and right, but I don't remember if it's two left or two right. I'm sure someone else will confirm. I found that out after I bought one of each, but luckily, I had a correct spare on hand. Memory fades fast these days!!

Coming from a guy who keeps to much…??!!??, try listing them on marketplace for a reasonable price, keep lowering price till it’s free, then you can toss with a clear conscience.
Don’t forget Yard Art and/or ManCave Art! Just my 2 cents.

I don't have much old parts left over, I restore 99% of them.
The ones I did not restore like callipers, lower arm, rotors would have cost more to service them than buy new ones.
The days I could let sandblasted and turn rotors for little price for instance are long gone. But I keep them because, well you never know, our cars are 50yo after all!
And ofc all the rare original 429 parts that I won't use at all, like intake, carb, air filter assembly, pump, sending unit and few others. They eat some space and just collect dust, but I can't sell or toss them. Can I?

If you have the 1/2" rear sway bar with the brackets that go on the leaf springs springs, and the chassis brackets, that is an easy $400-600 on eBay. I do not throw out anything that is original Ford stuff that can be rebuilt. I have the original power steering pump tucked away (bought a new one to get up and going), the leaf springs, upper and lower control arms, spring perches etc... If the part I remove is OEM Ford and it is something that can be rebuilt, it goes into storage. If what I remove is already a replacement part that has failed, it goes to the garbage. Only parts with OEM Ford numbers are worth anything, and the longer that time goes by, the more they are worth. If the part I remove is OEM Ford but cannot be rebuilt it also goes into the trash.

The shoes on my 71 Mach are 10x2" bought from Rock Auto, Raybestos 152PG
If you buy wheel cylinders, check the ones you need. If I remember you need two the same for left and right, but I don't remember if it's two left or two right. I'm sure someone else will confirm. I found that out after I bought one of each, but luckily, I had a correct spare on hand. Memory fades fast these days!!
Thanks

The things I was able to clean-up, refurbish, and re-use, I did. But pretty much all of the things I pulled off mine were so rusted, corroded, chewed-up, ripped, torn, and otherwise unserviceable, the choice was easy for me to just toss it all out. Still, I managed to amass quite a pile of junk in my garage.

Horde... I definitely horse. I know as soon as I discard any horded items I am soon after going to need them.

Back