How much voltage?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
H code 351c
Edelbrock intake, 4bb Holley carb
Hey guys still having issues with my 73 charging system.

Multimeter question

How much voltage would be going to each wire at the voltage regulator.

I have the 12 volts at "I" terminal and was told I should get voltage at "A" when the car is on I'm only getting .3 at "A" is that enough?

Thanks

Rich

b70024bacde38dbd931f24680bc1b50a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"A" should have 12 volts (or more) at all times. The "A" wire connects directly to the hot side of the starter solenoid and should be getting battery voltage. The "S" wire comes from the starter switch and supplies voltage to the regulator when the switch is turned on.

Trace the wire connected to the "A" terminal and make sure it is connected either to a junction block or directly to the hot side of the starter solenoid so it gets battery voltage.

FYI, "I" is for the warning (idiot) light and "F" supplies current to the alternator field, controlling the charge rate.

Thanks mate, have been messing so much with it I think my mind is turning to mush over it.

So I went and took a look and I found this, but it's always been like this and worked fine.

12adc91ea60e41ac1cd179902b446c05.jpg

Notice the thick gauge wire is cut and spliced at junction that runs to "A".

Do you think if I took the cut thicker wire and connected it to the hot side we would be in business.

Don't really want to start a fire ha ha.

Anyone used this harness?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/alternator-wiring-harness-w-gauge-all-except-70-amp-1973/p/WALT9A/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CI6gwJD928gCFZKIaQod_ZwGdw

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't without verifying what the other end is connected to (or not). It looks like it might have a stripe on it, if it's an orange stripe it's probably part of the ammeter circuit.

So I went and took a look and I found this, but it's always been like this and worked fine.

12adc91ea60e41ac1cd179902b446c05.jpg

Notice the thick gauge wire is cut and spliced at junction that runs to "A".

Do you think if I took the cut thicker wire and connected it to the hot side we would be in business.

Don't really want to start a fire ha ha.

Anyone used this harness?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/alternator-wiring-harness-w-gauge-all-except-70-amp-1973/p/WALT9A/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CI6gwJD928gCFZKIaQod_ZwGdw

I used one for a 55 amp alternator that I picked up NPD. It worked great.

John J

Thanks Jeff that looks crazy clean!

Back