Hurst Shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2001 Cobra convertible. 1971 Mach 1 351 C 4V 4 speed
My original shift lever is quite rusty and I want to have it rechromed. So far I have not figured out how to remove it from the shifter. It appears to be pressed in. What is the trick for removal and reinstallation?

Thanks,

Dave

I always fight with these. A thin machinist's scale or stout feeler gauge needs to be inserted along the side, down in the well the stick fits in. There's a a 'tang' on a sheet metal piece in the well that fits into a dimple in the bottom of the stick. You have to unlock this 'tang' with something and the stick pulls right out. I have a stick in the shop somewhere and can snap a pic if needed...

I always fight with these. A thin machinist's scale or stout feeler gauge needs to be inserted along the side, down in the well the stick fits in. There's a a 'tang' on a sheet metal piece in the well that fits into a dimple in the bottom of the stick. You have to unlock this 'tang' with something and the stick pulls right out. I have a stick in the shop somewhere and can snap a pic if needed...
Yep Soak it good with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench and stick the .030 feeler gage on the drivers side as a minimum. ( Both sides would be ideal.) The tang on the drivers side is more prominent in my shifter, The tangs are down about 1/2 inch. Pull straight up!

agreed with it being a PITA! i used a small piece of sheet metal i had laying around push down and pull up!

Back