Ignition buzzer won’t stop bizzing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are your door/dome lights connected and does your dome light come on when either door is opened?

For the buzzer to work the buzzer relay has to receive voltage from a door switch AND either the ignition key reminder switch or the headlight switch.

If the door switches are functional something is wired wrong or the relay is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are your door/dome lights connected and does your done light come on when either door is opened?

For the buzzer to work the buzzer relay has to receive voltage from a door switch AND either the ignition key reminder switch or the headlight switch.

If the door switches are functional something is wired wrong or the relay is bad.
Hi don

Yes they are connected and functioning and when the key is inserted you can giggle it and it will stop sometimes like it’s a short inside the tumbler but not sure

If you carry the parts to fix please advise

As for a previous post about the actual dome light, my mechanic found the light socket in a box of parts from the disassembly process and it works fine

Thanks!!

Wrong Don, you need OMS Don.

The ignition switch has a little strip of metal in it that rubs against the key when it is inserted, providing a ground. So, I don't think that is the culprit. When the doors are closed it makes no difference if a key is providing the ground, or not. The voltage from the door open switch provides the 12 volts to energize the buzzer. For some reason that wire, red with pink stripe, has voltage on it all the time, possibly from contact in the switch connector, or someone has connected something else to it, providing positive voltage to it all the time.

Wrong Don, you need OMS Don.

The ignition switch has a little strip of metal in it that rubs against the key when it is inserted, providing a ground. So, I don't think that is the culprit. When the doors are closed it makes no difference if a key is providing the ground, or not. The voltage from the door open switch provides the 12 volts to energize the buzzer. For some reason that wire, red with pink stripe, has voltage on it all the time, possibly from contact in the switch connector, or someone has connected something else to it, providing positive voltage to it all the time.
Ah

Sorry but thank you that explanation. I’ll run with that and see...

Back