It's alive!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. As far as the resto-mod goes. I'm doing the same to my '73 coupe. Just finishing up a T5 conversion and doing some subtle custom touches to the ginger interior and adding a 4bbl intake and carb. Already added headers, Pertronix III ignition, relocated the battery to the trunk, etc. I like the take on the headliner. Looks cool with the all black car.

Thanks for the welcome. Funny thing is that I've been working on this car for two years. I joined another forum and was really excited but everyone there was so uptight... you'd think I called their mother names because I dared to build a "restomod". I dropped off the site after a short while because I got tired of hearing "You should take it back to original." Honestly, the car was dead and was a rusted, rotting piece of crap. Now, it's a rolling piece of crap, but it's mine! I've loved every minute of it, even the frustrating ones. That last pic is of the custom rat-rod inspired headliner. I completely gutted the interior and redid it all, but wanted the inside the have some personality.
I'll hafta check out the pics when I get home from work this evening (the proxy server blocks most image hosting sites :-/ ), but with regards to faithful restoration vs. restomod: I got your back. Mine's more of what you'd call a 'cosmetically period-correct restomod,' meaning I'm making it look old school, but tossing in some modern performance stuff.

We all pretty much believe in the "it's your car, build it how you like" mantra, because we're all here to enjoy the cars and our own little [exclusive] niche in the Mustang world... and I think we're a better, closer-knit community for it.

The only thing that really bugs me about "keeping it original," is when things are only half-@ssed in that area and the individual stands their ground, usually as a know-it-all and won't listen to more informed opinions. We usually see most of that in Craigslist and eBay ads (and periodically at car shows ;) ), so don't be surprised when you see those things. I personally feel that if you're going to do it, do it right. Sometimes something doesn't quite go right, and that's fine - we all understand... but blatant half-@ssed efforts tend to get rewarded with some folks pointing and picking things apart - again, we're talking about the "keeping it original" aspect when we see how others have neglected or cut corners in restoring our cars in the past.

Restomod is restomod... and coming up with cool, new things to make the cars better is always welcome. We love to see new stuff!

I can't wait to see your pics now. :D ::thumb::

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I'm in Madison and would be happy to meet up sometime. I love the old coupes and also working on ratrods- I'd say it is a fitting combination. I only smell like grease and oil on the weekends and an occasional week night so you'll have to stay down wind. ;) I also have a small stash of parts if you need something-I usually trade for alcohol as opposed to cash-it saves a step.

PM me if you feel like getting together

Welcome, form a fellow "newbie"!!

Hi Royce, and welcome from Brisbane, Australia.

Don't worry, you'll find folks friendly and open minded on this Forum. Hope you enjoy the ride.Speaking of the Devil, i was doing a little work in my own shed the other day, and came up with working model.:p:p

Greg.::devil::

Welcome. At first my mustangs name was Mustang Sally, but after 2+ years of draining my wallet and my wife's patience I changed her name to 'Christine". (the stang, not my wife).

Welcome. I'm in Madison and would be happy to meet up sometime. I love the old coupes and also working on ratrods- I'd say it is a fitting combination. I only smell like grease and oil on the weekends and an occasional week night so you'll have to stay down wind. ;) I also have a small stash of parts if you need something-I usually trade for alcohol as opposed to cash-it saves a step.

PM me if you feel like getting together
Hey, Jeff... thanks for the welcome and the note. I've got a few more things to do before she's ready to drive, but would like to get together when that happens. What kind of parts do you have on hand?

Handful of small parts, some things like intakes and exhaust manifolds for 351C some hood hinges, and springs some heads, a few blocks, some drivetrain parts-lots of crap, a few nice bits and pieces.

PM me your contact info and I'll send you mine. Even happy to give you a hand turning wrenches when you need a 2nd person around from time to time.

Back