It's baaaaccckkkkk!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A shoddy restoration like that is a waste of paint. None of the panels line up. They didn't even attempt to flatten out the hood. No effort to hammer -n- dolly just pack the bondo.

Not with that engine, lol. That's just a run of the mill 429 out of a Thunderbird. It's not a Cobra Jet. And it has an 8" rear end, probably with 2.75 gears!
I was more thinking of a good use of a VIN swapped body not the drivetrain. If you got deep pockets then put in the new Godzilla motor.

That would work!
Kevin...I read many of your comments on barn finds along with 6972. What are the nuanced differences in the 72 compared to 71. I know about the seat belt warning light above the glove box but what else is there? Where there pics of body panels with 72 date codes? I looked but did not see anything with that level of detail.

Not with that engine, lol. That's just a run of the mill 429 out of a Thunderbird. It's not a Cobra Jet. And it has an 8" rear end, probably with 2.75 gears!
Whew. My 429 tbird at least has the 2.89:1 rear end. And its from the high compression era.

Kevin...I read many of your comments on barn finds along with 6972. What are the nuanced differences in the 72 compared to 71. I know about the seat belt warning light above the glove box but what else is there? Where there pics of body panels with 72 date codes? I looked but did not see anything with that level of detail.
The dead giveaway is the back seat belt mounts coming out through the rear 1/4 trim panel. We all know that was a 72 and 73 item. There are so many things wrong with this car it has to be a rebody. The only thing from the original car is the dash VIN. Period. There's no way they took the time to weld in the shock tower numbers on this car. Incorrect 429, auto instead of factory 4 spd and clutch pedals removed, 8 inch rear end and no staggered shocks, A/C with A/C cutouts in the firewall when the original car did not have A/c, wrong (72-73) dash, wrong seat belt mounts in the back, "Mustang" scripts on the front fenders, it goes on and on.

And
The dead giveaway is the back seat belt mounts coming out through the rear 1/4 trim panel. We all know that was a 72 and 73 item. There are so many things wrong with this car it has to be a rebody. The only thing from the original car is the dash VIN. Period. There's no way they took the time to weld in the shock tower numbers on this car. Incorrect 429, auto instead of factory 4 spd and clutch pedals removed, 8 inch rear end and no staggered shocks, A/C with A/C cutouts in the firewall when the original car did not have A/c, wrong (72-73) dash, wrong seat belt mounts in the back, "Mustang" scripts on the front fenders, it goes on and on.
Your comment about the seat belts I had forgotten about! There were also numerous differences in the seat belts themselves over those 3 years. WCCC has a great video about all the differences. Not sure what, if any, there were between 71-2 from memory. I want a SCJ even if it is a carcass like my latest acquisition. No room currently. As it is I am parking outside along with my daughters 88 Bronco II.

And

Your comment about the seat belts I had forgotten about! There were also numerous differences in the seat belts themselves over those 3 years. WCCC has a great video about all the differences. Not sure what, if any, there were between 71-2 from memory. I want a SCJ even if it is a carcass like my latest acquisition. No room currently. As it is I am parking outside along with my daughters 88 Bronco II.
Chris, I'm sure one day you will find that SCJ carcass and put it back on the road just like your 71 red/red/ Mcode vert!

The problem the next buyer faces is that he will stuck owning a rebody with 2 vin #'s. Current "J" code on dash and the 2 original stamps on shock towers (unless they were destroyed or swapped out which is illegal).
There are panel build date stamping codes and original paint left somewhere on that body...

I have a friend with a Mustang title/vin problem and the state police made him give up the shock towers and vins after an almost complete restoration...

26802-4254f62bd22cd5b3302c07a56611f507.jpg

The problem the next buyer faces is that he will stuck owning a rebody with 2 vin #'s. Current "J" code on dash and the 2 original stamps on shock towers (unless they were destroyed or swapped out which is illegal).
There are panel build date stamping codes and original paint left somewhere on that body...

I have a friend with a Mustang title/vin problem and the state police made him give up the shock towers and vins after an almost complete restoration...

View attachment 83392
Hey Pat. That is a wild story! Can you provide more info? I've never heard of anything like that. Did the state police cut the shock towers or did they make him do it? Did the police see different VIN numbers or had the originals been swapped? Do you think it makes a difference what state you are in as to how the DMV handles such problems? Thanks. Kevin.

Back