Kool things Ford workers left behind when they were building your car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huh, small world for those of us that are so invested I guess, nice little gem to find and with proof of its factory color.
Hi Libram. I sent you a PM. Rare, yes, but boy did I get burn't on the car. It was not advertised honestly and needs way more work than what the seller let on. So it goes. I'll restore it, but will have way more in it than what it will be worth in the end. Not always a bed of roses with these cars, but I do love them!

OMG David! I also have a 1973 Special order black convertible (Q code, auto) and it has an argent front bumper! I assumed someone had swapped it or painted it! The car is currently undergoing a resto. Cool stuff indeed!!
I think I posted a scanned copy of it on here you might search. I will have to go find the scan. Did you look for your build sheet? The fillers in front of the rear bumper should also be Argent. These pictures are of another one I say on Ebay last year for sale. It had original paint. He had never looked for the build sheet. There were three Special Items on my car Marti nor I could figure out the other two. Something about wheels and hood. There are fragments of side stripes showing on the door ends also. Special build items do not show up in Marti's reports because he does not have that data.

The 71 & 72 cars got chrome bumpers. 73 Ford did not want to have to make the special paint with the flex agent in it for the odd colors so they chose to put Argent bumpers and fillers in.

You should for sure put back original. My build sheet is proof positive they did do that.

David

WOW!! That's the car I bought!! What a small world it is when it comes to these cars. No luck on the build sheet, but I have the Eminger Sheet. The car is partially disassembled and waiting to be restored. I'm so glad you told me about the bumper and fillers. I assumed they were painted by the prior owner and I was going to paint them black. Do you have any idea how many special order black cars were made in 73?

I had quite a review with Marti on my 73 Special Order car. Marti did not get the info on the Special Order cars only the DSO office it was ordered through had that info. I even check with Ford and they did not have micro fish or any of the old DSO records.

On the black car you bought I did talk with that owner several times but did not remember it being a Q code. Mine is an H code with c-6. It came back on the Marti as a one of one because it did not have a radio, lol. No block off plate the dealer put radio in to make a few extra bucks. Those block off plates are hard to find wish I had one.

I see another post asking more questions on the Special Order cars and will go there to answer his questions.

So Marti cannot even tell you the color they painted the car and the door sticker will not show a color code they left it blank. My car had been painted so it had black bumper when I got it. Just found the build sheet and scanned and sent to Marti and he came back to me about the second remark on the bottom of the sheet that states "Install Argent Front Bumper". The other two notes have some engineering or part numbers also.

I found the scan of the build sheet but cannot insert for some reason, wrong file type I guess.

David

huh, small world for those of us that are so invested I guess, nice little gem to find and with proof of its factory color.
Ford would do about anything you wanted back then as long as it did not break any federal safety or emission rules. Our local dealer was way more up on the Special Orders than most. They were the Ford authorized distributor for NASCAR racing components. They actually gave me the old parts lists, price lists and some catalogs from Holman Moody and Carol Shelby. They were going to throw them away, lol.

When I ordered my Mach 1 it was going to be a non factory color also. You could pick any color that Ford offered on any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury product in production at that time. I had picked and very dark brown metallic color for my Mach 1. I got a call at work and the factory had called and told the dealer they would have to put a chrome bumper on the car. I think the dealer said chrome and Ford had probably said Argent or silver and the dealer misstated it. I change the color over the phone to a stock color. I sure wish I had not would have for sure been rare.

You could order a Mustang or any Ford vehicle and delete the color and just get a primer car. You could delete the drive train they called that a "Glider" if I recall correct.

When the racers ordered cars the left out the engines lots of times and also did the "Sealer Delete" option to take weight off and also allow them to MIG weld the seams to make stronger. Ford would deliver truck loads of frames to the dealer when the NASCAR racers had frames. They went to Banjo Matthews shop that was 10 miles from me and he built them for the Ford racers.

When you see something odd on a Ford never assume that someone changed it. The Special Order cars have the Six Digit DSO code and if it was paint there will be no paint code on the sticker either.

When I got mine off eBay I was on there every day looking. I had to quit because I was buying too many. My Black car was in Michigan and he did not do a good add with bad pictures and car was not even washed. I called him and got him to send me a picture of door sticker that was not in the ad. As soon as I saw the DSO I knew I had to bid. I got the car for $3,200 because nobody was bidding. I had a guy here buying parts not too long ago and he said he would pay $16,000 for it since it was way better than his rusty one he paid $12,000 for, lol. When I told him what I paid he did not believe me. It is not a rust free car for sure but did have Ziebart so much better than most. I will probably end up selling it I have way too many and my son is not interested in them at all. He would sell when I am gone for sure.

I do not know how to get the scan of the build sheet loaded but it is already here somewhere.

I did find the Marti for the car in the pictures I sent if is different from your Q code it is a 302 three speed.  So there are still three surviving black 73 verts out there.

When I sent Marti the picture of the door sticker he pointed out the remnants of the side stripe on the end of the door. He thinks part of the special order was for side stripes and a stripe on the hood but cannot verify it. The cost for my paint was much higher than the other so had to include other items, $99.95. Sorry for the bad pics cannot find cable to use good camera.

We sort of changed the subject on this thread, sorry.

David

Aha, I just found the picture of your Marti for the Q code. I talked with the guy couple of times and he had sold the car several times on eBay to fake buyers that did not close the deal. I had made him a really low offer and he never took it.

The yellow car is the other Marti I sent before it was a different shade of yellow than stock. Marti thinks my car had similar hood stripe and side stripe like it does that made the cost higher but can give no hard prof since no records.

David

I think I posted a scanned copy of it on here you might search. I will have to go find the scan. Did you look for your build sheet? The fillers in front of the rear bumper should also be Argent. These pictures are of another one I say on Ebay last year for sale. It had original paint. He had never looked for the build sheet. There were three Special Items on my car Marti nor I could figure out the other two. Something about wheels and hood. There are fragments of side stripes showing on the door ends also. Special build items do not show up in Marti's reports because he does not have that data.

The 71 & 72 cars got chrome bumpers. 73 Ford did not want to have to make the special paint with the flex agent in it for the odd colors so they chose to put Argent bumpers and fillers in.

You should for sure put back original. My build sheet is proof positive they did do that.

David

WOW!! That's the car I bought!! What a small world it is when it comes to these cars. No luck on the build sheet, but I have the Eminger Sheet. The car is partially disassembled and waiting to be restored. I'm so glad you told me about the bumper and fillers. I assumed they were painted by the prior owner and I was going to paint them black. Do you have any idea how many special order black cars were made in 73?

I had quite a review with Marti on my 73 Special Order car. Marti did not get the info on the Special Order cars only the DSO office it was ordered through had that info. I even check with Ford and they did not have micro fish or any of the old DSO records.

On the black car you bought I did talk with that owner several times but did not remember it being a Q code. Mine is an H code with c-6. It came back on the Marti as a one of one because it did not have a radio, lol. No block off plate the dealer put radio in to make a few extra bucks. Those block off plates are hard to find wish I had one.

I see another post asking more questions on the Special Order cars and will go there to answer his questions.

So Marti cannot even tell you the color they painted the car and the door sticker will not show a color code they left it blank. My car had been painted so it had black bumper when I got it. Just found the build sheet and scanned and sent to Marti and he came back to me about the second remark on the bottom of the sheet that states "Install Argent Front Bumper". The other two notes have some engineering or part numbers also.

I found the scan of the build sheet but cannot insert for some reason, wrong file type I guess.

David
Hi David. Thanks for all the info. You are so right about those block off plates. I once owned probably the lowest mile 73 vert I bought from a guy named Justin Rosen, prior owner of Rosen Novak Ford in Denver CO. It had 92 original miles and I bought it around the year 2000. It was a radio delete car. Very funny though about your dealer looking to increase his profit by putting the radio in himself! I met Justin (who at the time was in his mid seventies) when I was in CO for a ski trip. He had a building full of rare cars. He overheard me talking about my passion for the 71-73s when me and my buddies were eating an an IHOP, and he said "You need to see what I have." I fell in love with the car and bought it on the spot. Bright Red, H code, Decor group, white/white. Original everything....belts, hoses, tires etc. I took pics of every square inch of the car to help me with my other restorations. A friend saw the car in my basement and asked if he could let some of the air out of the tires and smell it! The story was that Mr Rosen owned the dealership with another guy (Mr Novak), and heard that Ford would stop making convertibles after 1973. So he decided to keep the car in moth balls as he knew it would be worth a lot one day. Once a year, he would drive the car to get the oil changed. That's how it got the 92 miles. He sold the dealership to John Elway of the Broncos. Apparently Elway owns a lot of dealerships in Denver. I paid $18K for the car and flipped it about 4 years later making about $5k. A lot of money to me back then. I saw the car back up for sale a few years later for about $32K. No telling what it's worth now.

Aha, I just found the picture of your Marti for the Q code. I talked with the guy couple of times and he had sold the car several times on eBay to fake buyers that did not close the deal. I had made him a really low offer and he never took it.

The yellow car is the other Marti I sent before it was a different shade of yellow than stock. Marti thinks my car had similar hood stripe and side stripe like it does that made the cost higher but can give no hard prof since no records.

David

OMG David! You are a wealth of information! I was always under the impression that Ford only offered a few special order colors each year, but I guess I was wrong. I once owned a special order 1971 convertible the same yellow color as the one above. Boy was that car nice! I sold it and another 72 Bright Lime convertible as a package deal to Mickey Graphia (a well known and friendly collector of these cars). That car was one of the highest optioned I have ever owned...M code, auto, factory Ram Air, PW, A/C, Rim Blow, Tach, Gauges, Sports Wheel Covers, Decor group, convenience group, black/black.  And the car was CLEAN. Never any rust, flawless sheet metal. 40K original miles. I should have never sold it. But I really didn't like the color. I would have kept it if it was Grabber Yellow. The story was a guy bought it for his wife who was a school teacher and she liked the 1970 springtime yellow better.  All the special paint cars I have seen were $35.00 extra. So yours for $95 extra would support the stripe theory. You would know better than I would as to whether Ford was more flexible with color selections, but If you look really hard for special paint cars I think you will have a hard time finding a 71-73 with anything other than a select group of colors. If you have knowledge of specific examples, let me know. Aside from the aforementioned Springtime Yellow for 1971 and 1972, Black for 73, Calypso Coral for 71, Playboy Pink for 73, some orange ones in 73, I can't remember seeing any other colors. And all the special paint cars I'm aware of seem to have a few examples of each, not just a "one off" which leads me to think that the special order colors were some that were just offered by Ford for a few bucks extra. Kevin.

Last edited by a moderator:

David

OMG David! You are a wealth of information! I was always under the impression that Ford only offered a few special order colors each year, but I guess I was wrong. I once owned a special order 1971 convertible the same yellow color as the one above. Boy was that car nice! I sold it and another 72 Bright Lime convertible as a package deal to Mickey Graphia (a well know and very nice collector of these cars). That car was one of the highest optioned I have ever owned...M code, auto, factory Ram Air, PW, A/C, Rim Blow, Tach, Gauges, Magnums, Decor group, convenience group, black/black.  And the car was CLEAN. Never any rust, flawless sheet metal. 40K original miles. I should have never sold it. But I really didn't like the color. I would have kept it if it was Grabber Yellow. The story was a guy bought it for his wife who was a school teacher and she liked the 1970 springtime yellow better.  It did not have the above stripes. All the special paint cars I have seen were $35.00 extra. So yours for $95 extra would support the stripe theory. If you look really hard for special paint cars I think you will have a hard time finding a 71-73 with anything other than a select group of colors. If you have knowledge of specific examples, let me know. Aside from the aforementioned Springtime Yellow, Black for 73, Calypso Coral for 71, Playboy Pink for 73, some orange ones in 73, I can't remember seeing any other colors. Kevin.
David, you're not going to believe this. Looking at that pic of the yellow Mustang and the stripes and your discussion got me thinking. I seem to remember that 71 loaded out M code convertible as having the same side stripes. So I looked through some folders my wife organized for me and found a treasure trove full of stuff like old Emingers, copies of build sheets, etc. from cars I sold in the past. Sure enough, I found the copy of the Eminger and other stuff on that yellow 71 convertible, and check out the price for the Special Paint....$94.60!! That car did have the black Mach I style side stripes. It was a 1971 (which should have NEVER come with those stripes, as opposed to the 72 and 73 decor group verts that COULD have come with the stripes, but only IF the Decor Group was ordered), and it confirms something that I always suspected which was that that was an original paint car! LOOK AT THE OPTION LIST AND PRICE! I should have never sold that car, but like I said, I didn't like that shade of yellow. I was going to paint the car Panther Pink (which I think would have been cool with the black top and interior). But I was conflicted in doing that to such a rare car. I will add that that car ran better and smoother than any car I had ever owned. And everyone of those options worked flawlessly, including the air. If someone on this site owns that car now, let me know and I will send you a bunch of documentation I found on the car. David, I will ad that that car did not have the same hood stripes as yours or the 302 yellow car, but only because it WAS A FACTORY RAM AIR CAR! Check out these pics. A LIST PRICE OF $5483.60 IN 1971. WOW!!

PS-I guarantee the original build sheets with all the documentation are still under the carpet of that car.

David

OMG David! You are a wealth of information! I was always under the impression that Ford only offered a few special order colors each year, but I guess I was wrong. I once owned a special order 1971 convertible the same yellow color as the one above. Boy was that car nice! I sold it and another 72 Bright Lime convertible as a package deal to Mickey Graphia (a well know and very nice collector of these cars). That car was one of the highest optioned I have ever owned...M code, auto, factory Ram Air, PW, A/C, Rim Blow, Tach, Gauges, Magnums, Decor group, convenience group, black/black.  And the car was CLEAN. Never any rust, flawless sheet metal. 40K original miles. I should have never sold it. But I really didn't like the color. I would have kept it if it was Grabber Yellow. The story was a guy bought it for his wife who was a school teacher and she liked the 1970 springtime yellow better.  It did not have the above stripes. All the special paint cars I have seen were $35.00 extra. So yours for $95 extra would support the stripe theory. If you look really hard for special paint cars I think you will have a hard time finding a 71-73 with anything other than a select group of colors. If you have knowledge of specific examples, let me know. Aside from the aforementioned Springtime Yellow, Black for 73, Calypso Coral for 71, Playboy Pink for 73, some orange ones in 73, I can't remember seeing any other colors. Kevin.
David, you're not going to believe this. Looking at that pic of the yellow Mustang and the stripes and your discussion got me thinking. I seem to remember that 71 loaded out M code convertible as having the same side stripes. So I looked through some folders my wife organized for me and found a treasure trove full of stuff like old Emingers, copies of build sheets, etc. from cars I sold in the past. Sure enough, I found the copy of the Eminger and other stuff on that yellow 71 convertible, and check out the price for the Special Paint....$94.60!! That car did have the black Mach I style side stripes. It was a 1971 (which should have NEVER come with those stripes, as opposed to the 72 and 73 decor group verts that COULD have come with the stripes, but only IF the Decor Group was ordered), and it confirms something that I always suspected which was that that was an original paint car! LOOK AT THE OPTION LIST AND PRICE! I should have never sold that car, but like I said, I didn't like that shade of yellow. I was going to paint the car Panther Pink (which I think would have been cool with the black top and interior). But I was conflicted in doing that to such a rare car. I will add that that car ran better and smoother than any car I had ever owned. And everyone of those options worked flawlessly, including the air. If someone on this site owns that car now, let me know and I will send you a bunch of documentation I found on the car. David, I will ad that that car did not have the same hood stripes as yours or the 302 yellow car, but only because it WAS A FACTORY RAM AIR CAR! Check out these pics. A LIST PRICE OF $5483.60 IN 1971. WOW!!

PS-I guarantee the original build sheets with all the documentation are still under the carpet of that car.
Hi David. This is another example of what I was saying about special order colors. It seems in most cases that each year Ford offered a few "Special Order Colors." and I have seen that same color "pop up" on several cars that year, but I have yet to see any "one off" colors that a buyer specially requested. Not saying it didn't happen, just saying I haven't seen it. This appears to be another "special order color" car in that "Springtime Yellow." I wish the sellers had posted a pic of the Marti report to verify that it was a special color order car. Hard to believe someone would have randomly repainted a car this color.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/mustang/2084435.html?refer=alert

Hi David. This is another example of what I was saying about special order colors. It seems in most cases that each year Ford offered a few "Special Order Colors." and I have seen that same color "pop up" on several cars that year, but I have yet to see any "one off" colors that a buyer specially requested. Not saying it didn't happen, just saying I haven't seen it. This appears to be another "special order color" car in that "Springtime Yellow." I wish the sellers had posted a pic of the Marti report to verify that it was a special color order car. Hard to believe someone would have randomly repainted a car this color.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/mustang/2084435.html?refer=alert
OOOOOpppppsssssss!!!!!! I got a copy of the Marti report. What a mess! Why would anyone paint a bright blue/white/white car that color! To each his own I guess. Not a special order color car after all!

https://www.volocars.com/auto-sales/vehicles/14530/1971-ford-mustang

Back