Kool things previous owners left behind in your car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well in the guise of "the story" this is my 1969 W axle 4 speed Rcode Sportsroof AS FOUND in the AZ desert in 1999.  HOpe you will follow the photos as to the find, story and how it is today!

Guess you need to see the interior to get a feel for time it sat with "friends"

In the passenger door frame was this!  Turns out a LIZARD was living in the car (door shows "wholed orange rhine" Probably kept the pack rats out after they started nesting!    

So if any of our kids buy this car in the future THEY WILL FIND the "orange" in the door still.   But have to have read this thread to know "the rest of the story" !!

MAN, that is one sweet car. Excellent job, Mark. Love the orange rhine story!

While not left by a PO, I found a brand new "dropped by a factory line worker" brake pedal rubber under the drivers side carpet when the car was stripped for a repaint. Perhaps it was dropped on installation or knocked off the pedal and rather than look for it, the guy (or gal) just put another one on. Now I have a spare!! I also found three almost pristine build sheets.
SWEET!

Not too exciting a find I suppose but while I was poking around under the hood I found one of those old school magnetic key holders attached near the battery complete with two working keys inside.
I remember those key things! I should have had one when this happened. Funny story:  I drove my first Mustang (and first "real" car), a 1971 Medium Yellow Gold M code Mach I, to a pretty new shopping mall in New Orleans East (about a 35 minute drive from my home town in Slidell, LA) back in 1976 to get a new pair of 5"x9" Jenson 3 way speakers for the car. I was so excited. There weren't any good places in my town to buy stuff like that. After I bought the speakers, I put them behind the driver's front seat and was ready to go, but I thought of something else I needed. I locked the doors, and started towards the mall from the parking lot. OOPPS. Left the keys in the ignition. Spent the next 30 minutes running around outside the mall trying to find someone with a coat hanger. No luck. Ran inside the mall and finally found a coat hanger that would work. Came back out to unlock the doors, and to my amazement it was unlocked. But one of those kind souls I had asked for help decided to keep the speakers as payment. :shootself:
Ahh, your first car was a 71.  Now I understand why you are so in love with these cars and why that list on your sig is so extensive.  Good luck with the sale on the Lime Green.  Are you thinning the herd?

LOL. Yes, that's where it all started. My first "real" car. My Dad helped me buy it when I turned 17. Bought it off a used car lot on Canal Street in New Orleans in 1976. The car was only 5 years old but already had rust through in the trunk. The bondo and undercoating was still wet when I opened the trunk. I saw the undercoating and asked the salesman, "What's that?" He said, "that's a special sound deadener." I said, "Cool!" Then I looked at the tires. I asked, "are those radials?" He said, Oh, yes, those are radials." Funny how the retreads ripped off one of those "radial" front tires at 90 mph and took half the front fender with it!! I'm just selling a few to raise cash for the zillions of project cars I'll never finish,lol. :shootself:

Ah Kevekn1959 ....you watched the video of car finished !! Can't believe it took 9 years to do that car and 9 months to do the Boss! Who says you slow down as you get older ! Mark 1958 LOL

P.S. I was in a junkyard in Las Vegas in 1981 and was taking a console out of a car. UNDER was a $20 bill (stash money) -guess the owner forgot when it got junked !

Ah Kevekn1959 ....you watched the video of car finished !!    Can't believe it took 9 years to do that car and 9 months to do the Boss!  Who says you slow down as you get older !   Mark 1958  LOL

P.S.  I was in a junkyard in Las Vegas in 1981 and was taking a console out of a car.   UNDER was a $20 bill (stash money) -guess the owner forgot when it got junked !
lollerz

i had an etire colony of silverfish in my seats that took up residence in my garage and took 3 years to get rid of :)

i had an etire colony of silverfish in my seats that took up residence in my garage and took 3 years to get rid of :)
Man, those things are nasty! My cat had one of those cornered under our bath mat last night. I knew by the way he was acting there was something under that mat. I was afraid to move the mat back and look. When I did, the thing was almost translucent and you could barely see it running away. Then I squished it with a piece of toilet paper and and it had as much innards as a cockroach. EEEEEUUUUUWWWWW!!!!

I think kevken1959 previous hairbrush owner was entered in the same contest as my M codes previous owner

I don’t know if it’s a good thing or maybe a little sad that I still have it? ?

Man, I think that is so cool! I graduated high school in 1978. That was when I was driving my first Mustang, a medium yellow gold 72 Q code fastback. Lots of good memories in that car! Thanks for posting  :coolphotos:
Thanks for getting this thread going very cool :goodpost: . I didn’t think about that entry form  until I read your post last night. Its like I became rain man looking for that thing

Man, I think that is so cool! I graduated high school in 1978. That was when I was driving my first Mustang, a medium yellow gold 72 Q code fastback. Lots of good memories in that car! Thanks for posting  :coolphotos:
Thanks for getting this thread going very cool :goodpost: . I didn’t think about that entry form  until I read your post last night. Its like I became rain man looking for that thing
lollerz :thankyouyellow:

I found a few items from previous owner(s) when I stripped the interior and pulled the console and carpet. Big Red gum, match boxes from a restaurant in California, oil change receipt from Texas, gas receipt, election stickers under the center console/arm rest door. It was pretty cool to be able to trace the steps of the car and see where it had been. Also found a badly damaged (by mice and moisture) build sheet.

I found a few items from previous owner(s) when I stripped the interior and pulled the console and carpet.  Big Red gum, match boxes from a restaurant in California, oil change receipt from Texas, gas receipt, election stickers under the center console/arm rest door.  It was pretty cool to be able to trace the steps of the car and see where it had been.  Also found a badly damaged (by mice and moisture) build sheet.

Awesome Mike!

Kevin.

I've only found 12 cents so far and part of a metal sign that was used to patch up a big hole in the rear floor pan :(

49742219851_723665bab0_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back