Look what Ford did to the new FL1A oil filters

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to buy a new Motorcraft oil filter and I'm not happy with the new silk screen they are using. Might as well throw a Fram on it! Also, I went to get Marti Auto repro Motorcraft spark plug wires (which have always been available and looked great on my 72s and 73s) and now all he makes are the Autolites. I'm not happy.

Attachments

• IMG-7189.jpg
    IMG-7189.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-7190.jpg
    IMG-7190.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Ford changed the manufacturer for the FL1A in the last year or so, and it has some design differences that render it pointless to buy anymore. The main problem for me is that the bypass valve is no longer at the threaded end of the filter, but is at the bottom of the can. I've only been using Baldwin B2 or Wix 51515 filters for a couple years now. I firmly believe the Wix 51515 saved my motor when the distributor gear failed.

1688560464319.png

Ford changed the manufacturer for the FL1A in the last year or so, and it has some design differences that render it pointless to buy anymore. The main problem for me is that the bypass valve is no longer at the threaded end of the filter, but is at the bottom of the can. I've only been using Baldwin B2 or Wix 51515 filters for a couple years now. I firmly believe the Wix 51515 saved my motor when the distributor gear failed.

View attachment 78662

Thanks Hemi. You've always got the answers!

That's good info and thanks for posting. I've used (and posted on the FL1A) for several years now, but won't be in the future. I have a Nappa Gold filter on the shelf, so perhaps a respray with white paint and a logo sticker from NPD will at least give the appearance of a correct filter.
Oh crap!! that is just an Autolite FL 1 decal, but they do still have the Motorcraft FL 1A in stock. Buy lots!!
It's the same with many things these days, "How to save a buck to profit the share holders at the buyers expense".

I bought one a few months ago and mine was a decal. Was able to remove it! It appears yours might be as well.

After years of using Motorcraft FL-1A I guess I will now be using the WIX X/P or NAPA Gold/Platinum filters until things get sorted out and I see some recent reviews on the new construction design. K&N are apparently really decent also. I had read that the NAPA Gold/Platinum filters are made by WIX. I also read in a filter review the Royal Purple oil filters are excellent construction.

What's the consensus on Hastings filters. I used them on my Studebaker 289, one of the few companies that had the bypass style I needed.

I cut apart a K&N last year. IMO, it's not worth what they charge for them. The construction was pretty ho-hum compared to a Wix.

The Hastings brand is owned by Parker, who also owns Baldwin. The Youtuber that did the FL1A comparison also did a Hastings to Baldwin comparison video. I will say that Baldwin used to make filters for some well known names, but told many to go pound sand as their volume wasn't high enough to warrant the setup time.

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/series/lubrication-oil-filter-elements

Once upon a time there were available oil filter covers. These replicated the old 1960s era appearance so you could use any brand of filter you wanted and then slide this repro cover over the new filter to give the appearance of a old OEM filter. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Got a few more Motorcraft on shelves, but can someone give me a wix ref number for 351c and 429? Sites over here don’t list them for US applications but you can order them. I think wix 51515 is for the 351? What would be for 429? Same?

Got a few more Motorcraft on shelves, but can someone give me a wix ref number for 351c and 429? Sites over here don’t list them for US applications but you can order them. I think wix 51515 is for the 351? What would be for 429? Same?
Yep, the oil filters are the same for the 302, 351C, and your 429. Also fits the 351W, 390, 427, 428, and 460 of that era.

51515 is the correct Wix filter for most any Ford V8 engine of our era. There's also the 51515R, which is the racing filter.

Back