Lost Oil Pressure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
Finally got my 72 out of the garage. Was worried because pressure dropped to 20psi at idle after warm. Posts said was ok. On 1st trip out at about mile 5 lost press and engine shutdown. I let things cool off before restart and only ran for about a mile and shutdown. Towed home and now have trying to decided the next step. :huh:

That's not good...was there any rapping or knocking at all?

well you could get a drill and a oil pump extension and try spinning up the oil pump in the engine with a mechanical gauge and see if you get anything.

my guess would be the oil pump went. or something clogged up.

next step after that would be pulling the engine and going through.

No engine noise pressure dropped and shut down. Pressure back up to 45psi after cooled off. What are the chances oil restriction. I have about 2hrs. total running after stored 6yrs. This is the 1st time engine has shutdown. If I change oil and filter again could It hurt the engine as long as Ihave good pressure?

well you could get a drill and a oil pump extension and try spinning up the oil pump in the engine with a mechanical gauge and see if you get anything.

my guess would be the oil pump went. or something clogged up.

next step after that would be pulling the engine and going through.
I guess I need to drop pan and at least replace pump and pick up. Maybe pull caps to check bearings

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like main bearings to me if pressure comes back up after it cools down and then drops after warming up. If the car shut all the way down that's not good at all. How fast was you going when it shut off? I think if you had just a restriction your oil pressure wouldn't be going up and down. Thicker oil would give you more pressure and more protection but if this thing shuts down driving down the road off idle I think I would look at the mains. It sounds like they are worn badly. But check out the pump first like recommended to see if it still works. Usually on a car with main bearing wear you fire it up and have good pressure for about 15 minutes then when the oil warms up it drops big time hopefully that's not the problem. Good luck

AD

I would want to at the least inspect the oil, if you see shinny flakes in it you know the. Engine is done.

You could then have an engine oil analysis done, if the find bearing particles you know for sure.

Otherwise I know you will have to pull the motor anyway to access the oil pan and oil pick up.

What's the history of this motor, was this engine rebuilt 6 years ago and just now you got it on the road?

Take the oil filter off and cut the can off. Then inspect the filter for metal bits. I agree with your plans of at least dropping the pan with the intent of inspecting bearings, and if OK, installing a new oil pump, shaft, and pickup. When inspecting your bearings, use some plastiguage to see what the approximate clearances are.

X2... The issue with using plastigage on an engine in the car is you cannot clean the oil film from the bearings to get a good reading. If you drop the caps look for scuffing on the surfaces, if you see copper it's trouble.

I would want to at the least inspect the oil, if you see shinny flakes in it you know the. Engine is done.

You could then have an engine oil analysis done, if the find bearing particles you know for sure.

Otherwise I know you will have to pull the motor anyway to access the oil pan and oil pick up.

What's the history of this motor, was this engine rebuilt 6 years ago and just now you got it on the road?
Reciepts with the car showed bored 30 over, new pistons, cam, intake and carb, water pump and radiator. Also fmx overhauled w/stall converter added

would you keep engine in car or am I just delaying what I hope does't need to be done?

Reciepts with the car showed bored 30 over, new pistons, cam, intake and carb, water pump and radiator. Also fmx overhauled w/stall converter added

Last edited by a moderator:
Back