mach 1 nasa hood help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Washington State. Nothing wrong with a 302. We just installed a fresh Ford Racing Crate 302 in our 89GT. We also have a 289 in our 66 Mustang. Very good motors and inexpensive to build.

And yes when i looked up the specs at 4.94 metres long i was quite suprised. Thats still a fairly large size car for us here in AUS.

As you mention the hood must be huge.
The hood is about 5 feet 7 inches long measured though the centre (so long enough to sleep on if you're into that kinda thing.)

To help you put the size of your new car in perspective, being a '73 model with the deeper low-impact bumpers the Mustang is about 4" longer than an XB Falcon sedan, and only 0.7" thinner. Also from memory the Mustang is about 0.5" lower roofline to an XB coupe. The Mustang is far less bulky than the Falcon though as the Falcon has very flat sides and doesn't have flared wheel arches like the stang does. The flat sides of the Falcon means the interior width of the Falcon is about 4 inches wider.

Mustang-Falcon.jpg

Mustang-Falcon2.jpg

yellow-mustang-and-xb-coupe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info guys.

As requested here are some pics.

Still sitting in Boston I believe.

Also has anyone heard of DYNACORN nasa hoods.

Are they all metal.

They are only $360 and if I could put that in the container it would work out well. Has anyone had any trouble fitting one of them.
Dynacorn hood is fine I have them

320.00 + freight

Don
Thanks OMS.

I am interested but what would freight be to Australia.

Is the car still in the states ?

You should get any large / heavy parts you need now - shipped to the port to be added to the container with the car.

That way you save on shipping and extra duties / import taxes as it comes with the car

The biggest factor in getting parts later will be the shipping cost and duties / taxes to ship them to you

Hood

ram air kit

???

If the container shipped already,you will need to get the hood local as it would probably be cheaper

Don

Thanks Flatback for the great pictures and comparisons.

I set myself a target when i was looking for an american muscle car and that was that it must be under 5 metres long.

Well I only just scraped in. I wanted a car that would fit in the garage with a bit of room to work on it when required.

Anyway When it arrives i will take some pictures next to my 87 Group A GTSR Skyline. Wont that be a contrast. Famous Japanese and Australian Touring car champion turbo inline 6 next to an american v8 fastback mustang.

In closing is it true that a 1973 mach 1 302 2v is actually faster down the quarter mile than a 1973 mach 1 351 2v. I read this online mainly due to the fact that the 351 vesrion was over 110kg heavier and only had a slight increase in power. I could be wrong but thats what wikipedia rekons.

Regards

ausmach1

And yes when i looked up the specs at 4.94 metres long i was quite suprised. Thats still a fairly large size car for us here in AUS.

As you mention the hood must be huge.
The hood is about 5 feet 7 inches long measured though the centre (so long enough to sleep on if you're into that kinda thing.)

To help you put the size of your new car in perspective, being a '73 model with the deeper low-impact bumpers the Mustang is about 4" longer than an XB Falcon sedan, and only 0.7" thinner. Also from memory the Mustang is about 0.5" lower roofline to an XB coupe. The Mustang is far less bulky than the Falcon though as the Falcon has very flat sides and doesn't have flared wheel arches like the stang does. The flat sides of the Falcon means the interior width of the Falcon is about 4 inches wider.

Mustang-Falcon.jpg

Mustang-Falcon2.jpg

yellow-mustang-and-xb-coupe.jpg
Hi Brett,

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what was the basic story behind your photos. I only ask out of curiosity.

Regards,

Greg:)

Thanks Flatback for the great pictures and comparisons.

I set myself a target when i was looking for an american muscle car and that was that it must be under 5 metres long.

Well I only just scraped in. I wanted a car that would fit in the garage with a bit of room to work on it when required.

Anyway When it arrives i will take some pictures next to my 87 Group A GTSR Skyline. Wont that be a contrast. Famous Japanese and Australian Touring car champion turbo inline 6 next to an american v8 fastback mustang.

In closing is it true that a 1973 mach 1 302 2v is actually faster down the quarter mile than a 1973 mach 1 351 2v. I read this online mainly due to the fact that the 351 vesrion was over 110kg heavier and only had a slight increase in power. I could be wrong but thats what wikipedia rekons.

Regards

ausmach1
Aus,

Now you've opened up a can of worms!:D

PS. Did you end up ringing Don for a quote to freight your new hood to your container in Boston?

Hi Brett,

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what was the basic story behind your photos. I only ask out of curiosity.

Regards,

Hi Greg

I found the photo's on another couple of sites quite a while ago - the Australian Ford Register UK at http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/index.html and Mad Max Movies at http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-interceptor/australian-xb-coupe-and-american-car-comparison/index.html

And just in case anyone is interested, here is a pic of a '71 stang decked out as a Mad Max Interceptor (IMO it just don't look right...)

ZptCY.jpg

Cheers

Hi Brett,

Regards,

Hi Greg

I found the photo's on another couple of sites quite a while ago - the Australian Ford Register UK at http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/index.html and Mad Max Movies at http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-interceptor/australian-xb-coupe-and-american-car-comparison/index.html

Cheers
Your Avatar cracks me up. I always look forward to what you'll do next!

Nice looking Mach1,

You might want to contact the shipping company to see if you can ship the hood with it.

When I shipped a car to Hawaii with Matson, NOTHING could ship along with the car or inside the car. They did not ship it in a container box either, they have special car carriers.

Nice looking Mach1,

You might want to contact the shipping company to see if you can ship the hood with it.

When I shipped a car to Hawaii with Matson, NOTHING could ship along with the car or inside the car. They did not ship it in a container box either, they have special car carriers.
International container shipping is different than USA auto transport

Normally guys pack those containers with a car and parts for them and their friends

Latest posts

Back