MY CAMARO ALMOST READY FOR PAINT --PICS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOOKING GOOD SCOTT..... BUT I HAVE TO ASK, WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE AND TALENT AND YOU RECENTLY SAID YOUR EXPERTISE WAS PAINT, WHY DO YOU SEND THESE CARS OUT FOR FINAL BODY WORK AND PAINT? IS IT ZONING OR SOMETHING?
The Camaro was sent out because 1-I'm involved in doing the mustang 2--The shop owner owes me $$$ which he couldn't write a check for, so in exchange for the $$$ he's working off his debt 3- I only have a 1 car shop which is solely dedicated to the mustang..4--I also own a separate business which is my livelyhood which requires my full attention during the work week..besides that I'm in the process of a 3 year plan to move out west.. so many projects & only so much time ! there's no way i could devote 40 hours a week to building my toy's..But you can bet your bottom dollar The mustang is all me & all the body work..finish work & paint will be done by me..(funny you mention zoning..I did have zoning up to the garage as of the neighbors complained I was "operating a body shop business"..Thankfully because of the excellent video documentation all I had to do was show the inspector my site which clearly shows MY CAR only in the garage since june of last year took less than 24 hours to declare it a non issue & tell the neighbors I was allowed to work on my own car in a private garage)

I'D SAY THATS 4 PRETTY DARN GOOD REASONS, ESPACECIALLY 2&4 I'M LUCKY I LIVE OUTSIDE OF TOWN THE CLOSEST HOUSE IS PROBABLY 80 YARDS AWAY, AND I HAVE 20 ACRES SO I HAVE AMPLE BREATHING ROOM. MY NIEGHBORS ARE ALL COOL ALSO AND I HAVE WORKED ON MOST OF THERE STUFF OVER THE YEARS TOO. THE WORK THING IS ALWAYS A BIGGY. AFTER MY DIVORCE 11 YRS AGO, I CLOSED THE BUIS AND WENT TO WORK FOR A COMMERCIAL EXCAVATING COMPANY. WITH DRIVE TIME I NORMALLY PUT IN 55 TO 60 HRS WHICH DOESNT LEAVE MUCH PLAYTIME. EXCEPT IN WINTER WHEN WE CANT WORK. THINKING ABOUT NOT GOING BACK THIS YEAR, MIGHT JUST RETIRE EARLY AND STAY HOME AND WORK IN THE SHOP. GETTING ENOUGH INTEREST FROM PEOPLE WANTING WORK I THINK I CAN EASILY SUPPLEMENT MY INCOME AND LIVE COMFORTABLY. HAVENT BEEN ADVERTISING OR ANYTHING AND CURRENTLY HAVE 7 JOBS ON THE SCHEDULE. JUST CUT A DEAL WITH A DEALER THAT LOOKS PROMISING ALSO. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT COMING.
Hats off to you hard working men! Hope yall can enjoy your Machs soon!

Scott

Wish I could afford to have you work your magic on my car before you move.....but what can you do.....(sigh)

My dream is to win the lotto ...wife already knows that if that ever happened we would have a huge garage and she most likely wouldn't see me much.

I'D SAY THATS 4 PRETTY DARN GOOD REASONS, ESPACECIALLY 2&4 I'M LUCKY I LIVE OUTSIDE OF TOWN THE CLOSEST HOUSE IS PROBABLY 80 YARDS AWAY, AND I HAVE 20 ACRES SO I HAVE AMPLE BREATHING ROOM. MY NIEGHBORS ARE ALL COOL ALSO AND I HAVE WORKED ON MOST OF THERE STUFF OVER THE YEARS TOO. THE WORK THING IS ALWAYS A BIGGY. AFTER MY DIVORCE 11 YRS AGO, I CLOSED THE BUIS AND WENT TO WORK FOR A COMMERCIAL EXCAVATING COMPANY. WITH DRIVE TIME I NORMALLY PUT IN 55 TO 60 HRS WHICH DOESNT LEAVE MUCH PLAYTIME. EXCEPT IN WINTER WHEN WE CANT WORK. THINKING ABOUT NOT GOING BACK THIS YEAR, MIGHT JUST RETIRE EARLY AND STAY HOME AND WORK IN THE SHOP. GETTING ENOUGH INTEREST FROM PEOPLE WANTING WORK I THINK I CAN EASILY SUPPLEMENT MY INCOME AND LIVE COMFORTABLY. HAVENT BEEN ADVERTISING OR ANYTHING AND CURRENTLY HAVE 7 JOBS ON THE SCHEDULE. JUST CUT A DEAL WITH A DEALER THAT LOOKS PROMISING ALSO. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT COMING.
Heyy Pappy!!!!! I was reading this thread of Scott´s Camaro and you know... something like your story is happening to me...

As you know i have my little garagge where i work all my cars, one at the time... I also have my paid job in this office that is boring but keeps my pockets half full.. je...

But from a time to these days, people in the classic car world here in ly country are more and more interested in me, working his cars... I know i´m not THAT good but in Uruguay, nobody is... jeje... Besides i´m one guy that can do everything that a restoration really is...

Well... i was thinking the same as you... Maybe it is not that crazy to start thinking about becoming a professional restorer one of this days... I may start planning a improve workshop, more tools and more knowledge...

Pappy and Scott... loooove to say hi to you guys!!

Heyy Pappy!!!!! I was reading this thread of Scott´s Camaro and you know... something like your story is happening to me...

As you know i have my little garagge where i work all my cars, one at the time... I also have my paid job in this office that is boring but keeps my pockets half full.. je...

But from a time to these days, people in the classic car world here in ly country are more and more interested in me, working his cars... I know i´m not THAT good but in Uruguay, nobody is... jeje... Besides i´m one guy that can do everything that a restoration really is...

Well... i was thinking the same as you... Maybe it is not that crazy to start thinking about becoming a professional restorer one of this days... I may start planning a improve workshop, more tools and more knowledge...

Pappy and Scott... loooove to say hi to you guys!!
Hey D..where ya been ? it's not a crazy idea but if you do it some advice..1--make sure you have enough $$$ put away to go 1 year without a single job..2--The only way to make $$$ at resto work is to bill by the hour for every hour worked..DO NOT price resto work by the job..you will not make a profit that way..Put some feelers out & really see if the clientista is willing to pay that way..It will give you a good idea if the work is really there to make a living from it..

Hey Scott!! you´re totally right... Restoring a car is not something you can predict exact timming and that stuff... Besides, most owners dont really apreciate the work that "doesn´t shine"... and we.. on our cars usually spend a lot of time and invest a lot of money to do everything right from the inside out...

Most people buy a crappy car and just want to see them shinning.. If it runs bad well... "it´s an old car... it runs as an old car supposed to" and the truth is that most "restored" cars are made of bondo, fully rusted and twisted... My country has this type of "collectors"...

It is really hard to see the way to work just with classic cars being in a poor country with very few people like Uruguay but... I make 1000 dollars a month in the office... It is not hard to tie that up working on cars really so.. It is just an idea but we dont know.. it may work somehow...

BTW... GREAT LOOKING CAMARO Scott... Trully a Badass!... How about the Mach1? Did I miss a lot in my absence?

Hey Scott!! you´re totally right... Restoring a car is not something you can predict exact timming and that stuff... Besides, most owners dont really apreciate the work that "doesn´t shine"... and we.. on our cars usually spend a lot of time and invest a lot of money to do everything right from the inside out...

Most people buy a crappy car and just want to see them shinning.. If it runs bad well... "it´s an old car... it runs as an old car supposed to" and the truth is that most "restored" cars are made of bondo, fully rusted and twisted... My country has this type of "collectors"...

It is really hard to see the way to work just with classic cars being in a poor country with very few people like Uruguay but... I make 1000 dollars a month in the office... It is not hard to tie that up working on cars really so.. It is just an idea but we dont know.. it may work somehow...

BTW... GREAT LOOKING CAMARO Scott... Trully a Badass!... How about the Mach1? Did I miss a lot in my absence?
Thanks D..I did a little research for you & I think your wrong about your country being poor & people not being able to afford quality work..Maybe the average person but there are people who have the money in your country & will pay for top notch work..you just need to seek them out...& prove that you can do the work..The best way to start is by doing a few small fender jobs...patch jobs...etc..& build up a portfolio..Word will travel fast if you give exceptional customer service & of course do better than average work..You need to search out the car clubs & go to a few outings..Here's a few links i found http://www.montevideoclassiccar.com/

http://www.ccbmwuruguay.com/foro/viewtopic.php?id=2381

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks D..I did a little research for you & I think your wrong about your country being poor & people not being able to afford quality work..Maybe the average person but there are people who have the money in your country & will pay for top notch work..you just need to seek them out...& prove that you can do the work..The best way to start is by doing a few small fender jobs...patch jobs...etc..& build up a portfolio..Word will travel fast if you give exceptional customer service & of course do better than average work..You need to search out the car clubs & go to a few outings..Here's a few links i found http://www.montevideoclassiccar.com/

Your research is fine but it is not what people trully live here... Politics say that the country is in its way up because of some economics numbers and averages here and there but the people... the guys who get up every morning to go to work are living another reality...

About the classic cars here in my country there is also another reality... About 20 super rich people owns the 80% of the good classic cars here... They also own the classic car clubs, meetings, rallys etc... In fact, the owner of the my company is one of them... recently bought a Mc Laren Mercedes Benz so... imagine his pockets :p

You have to remember that if you are gonna work with classic cars here.. you are gonna be one of 2 or 3 shops in this matter... You have to be aware that all supplies here cost double than there in the USA so, it is common to spend 20000 dollars restoring a good example of mustang...

I dont know.. almost noone can afford spending 20-30 K on an old useless car... and the one who can, already have his shop...

I think the biggest problem here is not the luck of money but the luck of people... With 3 millon people, my country simply has no demand of an specific job like a profesional car restorer can be...

Your research is fine but it is not what people trully live here... Politics say that the country is in its way up because of some economics numbers and averages here and there but the people... the guys who get up every morning to go to work are living another reality...

About the classic cars here in my country there is also another reality... About 20 super rich people owns the 80% of the good classic cars here... They also own the classic car clubs, meetings, rallys etc... In fact, the owner of the my company is one of them... recently bought a Mc Laren Mercedes Benz so... imagine his pockets :p

You have to remember that if you are gonna work with classic cars here.. you are gonna be one of 2 or 3 shops in this matter... You have to be aware that all supplies here cost double than there in the USA so, it is common to spend 20000 dollars restoring a good example of mustang...

I dont know.. almost noone can afford spending 20-30 K on an old useless car... and the one who can, already have his shop...

I think the biggest problem here is not the luck of money but the luck of people... With 3 millon people, my country simply has no demand of an specific job like a profesional car restorer can be...
Got it D..What you see is not what you get ! It's a country that to the OUTSIDER looks like a viable flourishing economy (controlled by a few rich elitists) ..But the reality of being someone who lives there day in & day out who has to make a wage, & knows the inner pulse is completely different. So nice place for a tourist with money to visit but not a nice place to be able to live & make a nice wage.

You´ve said it all... Great country for a lot of things but not for the working class...

I consider myself a blessed person.. I´m just a regular guy with some college and not the best work in the world but one that keeps me fed... The rest... my cars and my little garagge is made with the extra time effort... Instead of rest after my 10 hour day at the office, i change clothes and go to the garagge to "do something"...

Doing something i managed to build a couple of cars, sell them and improve my tools, my place to work and that stuff...

My cars and my garagge are my hobbie, my place to spend the holidays and weekends and also, the place to invest the couple of extra bucks sometimes I manage to get here and there...

I know your garagge is something similar than mine and that´s why, besides all of the knowledge and that stuff... i like to see your progress...

You progress encourage me to keep focus, working and learning the one thing i LOVE to do... the car restoration...

It may not be the way to live arround here but the better i get, the closer i am to finally find the gap to job switch

returning to the original subject...

YELLOW CAMARO or BROWN??

I have to tell you the brown is a dream colour... I know.. it harder to apply, not that easier when you have to repair but even if yellow sounds great, i have to tell you i love how this dark metallic colours make the beautiful lines, angles and edges of a good classic car shine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back