Need help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MACHRON

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
So the 73 Mach 1 I just bought last week feels like a boat, floating around with some mild wandering thrown into the mix. The springs look stock, the upper strut rod bushings are smashed ( I know its a common problem), and to top it off the po put monroe shocks designed for towing in the back.

I am looking to make it handle and steer better without breaking the bank and plan on rebuilding the entire suspension and steering on the car. No plans on racing it or hitting turns, just a simple weekend cruiser but would like to bring it down 1".

I was going to start with a front suspension rebuild kit from Ohio Mustang.

I have searched the site for the last few hours and cannot seem to find a consensus on a mild rebuild like mine.

Has anyone had any luck with the grab a track kits from Mustangs Plus or the NPD kits?

I am open to suggestions......thanks.

If you are considering changing the front springs, I would check out Eaton Detroit Springs to make sure you get the correct application for your vehicle. I would be wary of parts suppliers offer a generic spring that may fit, but will not be the factory correct spring rate due to variations in engine size and options on the vehicle. Eaton acquired the spring blueprints from Ford and are able to get you the correct part.

Scott

Sounds like classic bump steer issues coupled with worn suspension components. And if the rear is raised up that will really cause some squirrely handling.

Front end rebuilt is a positive direction to remedy the problems. Definitely get the Eaton coil springs and then address the rear. Shocks and new bushings are relatively inexpensive. You may want to think about replacing the (I'm assuming they are worn) rear spring bushings. Rear leaf spring front eye bushing replacement may be a bit of a bear since getting the bolt out can be a challenge if it is rusted in place. Get the alignment done once you have replaced front and rear components. Obviously it should be done with the new front end components in place, but have it re-done or checked after the rear suspension is worked on.

Please take the time to properly securely support the vehicle up on jack stands to perform the work. Use front coil spring compressor with care.

So the 73 Mach 1 I just bought last week feels like a boat, floating around with some mild wandering thrown into the mix. The springs look stock, the upper strut rod bushings are smashed ( I know its a common problem), and to top it off the po put monroe shocks designed for towing in the back.

I am looking to make it handle and steer better without breaking the bank and plan on rebuilding the entire suspension and steering on the car. No plans on racing it or hitting turns, just a simple weekend cruiser but would like to bring it down 1".

I was going to start with a front suspension rebuild kit from Ohio Mustang.

I have searched the site for the last few hours and cannot seem to find a consensus on a mild rebuild like mine.

Has anyone had any luck with the grab a track kits from Mustangs Plus or the NPD kits?

I am open to suggestions......thanks.
Aside from replacing worn components, weld in sub-frame connectors, high durometer rubber strut rod (Global West), lower control arm, and rear spring eye and shackle bushings. Sway bars from Addco, 1.125" front, .875" OEM style rear, KYB gas shocks. 1/2 coil removed, with cut off wheel, from the front springs will lower the car about .75". Lowering blocks in the rear (Speedway). Nothing fancy but, it works well on the street.  Chuck

You won't find a consensus.

Everybody has a different recipe for handling, kinda like chocolate chip cookies.

I think you are on the right track with replacing the upper and lower control arms along with the strut rod bushings with a kit or all MOOG parts. The Easton Detroit springs seem to be a favorite around here, but you could always go with a lowering spring if desired (but I have no idea who makes good ones).

There are not a lot of front shock choices for a 71-73. There is a solution, if you want to run Bilstein shocks for the earlier mustangs (Sold by Opentracker racing, Mike Maier INC and others) you just get the shock tower cap from a 68-70 and bolt it on. No permanent modification needed and it opens up a whole new world of front shock choices.

The cars came from the factory camber and caster handicapped. You want negitive camber if possible and a few degrees of positive caster if possible. When you bolt everything together try to help your alignment shop out and slide the upper control arms twards the rear of the car when tightening the bolts. Also run your Strut Rods shorter than when you found them (maybe 3/8"). Run with your lower control arm eccentric fully adjusted outwards. Have an actual alignment shop or someone who sets up race cars follow the alignment recipie from Opentracker Racing (it is on their website).

I'm running Scott Drake 1" lower performance springs, 1.125" sway bar, KYB G2 shocks, stock rear leafs. To me the car feels like its on rails but yet comfortable to drive. I also replaced all worn out bushings.

If you have wander on the highway then another component that may need to be replaced is the steering box. I'm running one from Red Head and it is great.

Lots of great options, I went fairly budget friendly.

Latest posts

Back