Need new Starter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Germany.

Congratulations for your new old ride and that you have found this forum with all its knowledge.

I've followed the discussion about 351W or 351C in your car. Whether it's the one (351C most likely) or the other (351W as a result of an engine swap), please don't purchase any new starter crap. Get your old starter repaired. Usually it's just a pair of coals and a bearing.

Cheers Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Your book is wrong. There was NEVER a 351W offered in the 71-73 mustangs.

No offense intended but where does that information come from?

1.  It's not my book it's produced by  Peter C. Sessler.

Tim

Peter is wrong and many other published books are wrong. I'm certain there's also a "500lb weight gain for 71" statement somewhere in that book, which is also wrong.

The 351W was first offered in the Mustang & Cougar starting in 1969 in both 2V and 4V versions. In 1970, it was only offered in the Mustang & Cougar in a 2V version, but only for first part of the production year. All 1970 in the Mustang & Cougar 351-4V engines were Clevelands. I don't know the exact date, but the 2V engine in the Mustang & Cougar was then switched to the 351C when production capacity caught up with demand. 351W were used primarily in the full size lines in the early 70s.

As far as the 71-73 Mustang & Cougars, no 351W was ever used or offered. A simple way to verify that is the 65-72 Ford MPC listing of the water outlet, which we know is very different between a 351W and 351C.

Model column "F" is Mustang.

You can see that in 1970, the 351W is clearly labelled, highlighted in yellow, as is the 351C, bracketed in red. The 351W and 302 share the same water outlet, the 351C is completely different. For '71-up, only the 302 uses that water outlet. All the 351s - in the Mustang - use the 351C outlet, so they are all 351C engines. 

Sorry but the books are correct.  This will be the third error I've discovered with "original' data  that as provided by Ford at the time these cars were produced.  Research has updated a lot of what was originally published.

Just this past week it was proven that production number for the 1971-1973 Mustangs were printed incorrectly leading to a large discrepancy in how many of each body code was produced.

We'll have to agree to disagree.   It's hard to image that this forums has more knowledge then the "experts" but that is not impossible.

Early in the thread I talked about my 71 mach 1 that I purchased and it had a 351 windsor in it. It took me at least a week to figure out this aint right. The seller told me it was the original engine to the car when I bought it. The seller lied to me. I found the original owner of the car from the title he didnt transfer over. I hand wrote a letter to him asking for more parts if he had any? He actually wrote back to my amazement and told me he didnt have any and the original 351 c engine was given to the guy I bought the car from. That Sneaky @#$%^& . So I called him out on it. Told him the 351c engine was serial numbered to the car. Told him he had 48 hours to get that motor to me or I would report it as stolen. I'll be damned if the engine didnt show up in my drive in the middle of the night by a courier service.

So....... I did a lot of studying on this subject a year ago. I vote No 351w was put in a 71 mach in the USA from the factory.

It is crazy how wrong some of the experts get their information. I just happened to have a copy of the Ford car shop manual for 1972 laying here by the computer. Volume II if for all engines used in the cars. According to the Ford repair manual in 1972 there were 19 variations of engines used in the whole Ford Car line Trucks not included. NO FORD CAR MADE IN THE USA HAD A 351 W. The listing of the engines used can be found in section 20-00-03. The only 351 C.I. engines listed are the H code and Q code both Cleveland builds.

Some way I ended up with 8 351 C Mustangs of the 72 & 73 model years. 

There are errors in the Ford service manuals for 1973 Which refers to HO & CJ 351 C Which were never installed in 73. Manuals were written and then production change made. 

Again in 1973 the number of engines for CARS ONLY is 12 variations so down from 1972 and again NO 351 W LISTED FOR ANY FORD CARS FOR 1973. This was taken from a chart in the Volume 3 Electrical manual section 30-01-03.

I do not have any 1971 so I have no manuals for them. 

I have never had any reference materials that ever showed the 351 W in a 1971 - 1973 Mustang would like to know where he got his info obviously incorrect.

Sorry but the books are correct.  This will be the third error I've discovered with "original' data  that as provided by Ford at the time these cars were produced.  Research has updated a lot of what was originally published.

Just this past week it was proven that production number for the 1971-1973 Mustangs were printed incorrectly leading to a large discrepancy in how many of each body code was produced.

You mean this "photo of a printout of data published on a random location on the interwebs sometime in the last thirty years" that you proved was incorrect? That really proves nothing more than whoever published that website had the unit production numbers transposed among body types. Any other current site that has this info, including this one, is pretty much spot on. If you want production information as accurate as it comes on 71-73 Mustangs, get a copy of Kevin Marti's "Mustang by the Numbers".

Ford wouldn't leave bad info in the MPC if it was made aware of the errors. Believe what you want, but the 351W was not installed in production 71-73 Mustangs or Cougars.

We'll have to agree to disagree.   It's hard to image that this forums has more knowledge then the "experts" but that is not impossible.
Author ≠  Expert

Author ≠  Expert
I couldn't agree more. If you don't understand mathematical symbols, that means "does not equal". Anybody with a computer keyboard can write anything and can get a lot of people to believe whatever they write. Don't believe it? We just went though a run on toilet paper because of what some idiot wrote and posted on the 'net.

My Dad just had a 4th grade education, thanks to the economics of the time in the midwest in the 1910s, but read a lot and was pretty good at math. He was smart in his own right, and way before the computer era told me something that always stuck with me, "If you only believe half of what you see and none of what you read you'll do all right in life". In other words, some skepticism is a good thing. I do a lot of research and read a lot of technical reports. I always consider the source and motivation and always make sure that what is written is supported by the data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back