Need to replace the relays above glovebox.-

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Knopf

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Hardtop with factory 62K miles 302 new Holley 600 Street Warrior carb,Edelbrock Performer intake,stock C-4 trans,with 279 rear.
Hello,i have a 1972 Mustang Hardtop and need to replace all the relays above the glovebox where my turn signal flasher is located.-Thanks very much.-Joe K.-

These are fairly generic flashers used on thousands (millions?) of cars back in the day. When I was working on mine a while back the local O'Reilly's had them in stock. I think I paid $5-6 ea.
Thanks very much.-

The turn signal flasher over the glove box is a 552 flasher unit.

Turn signals are powered through the #6 fuse - which also powers the wiper washer pump, back up lamps and radio - some of which you have noted do not work. If you pull the flasher above the glove box and probe the White w/purple wire, you should have battery voltage with the key in the ON position.

Attachments

• 1704729279389.png
    1704729279389.png
    154.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Turn signals are powered through the #6 fuse - which also powers the wiper washer pump, back up lamps and radio - some of which you have noted do not work. If you pull the flasher above the glove box and probe the White w/purple wire, you should have battery voltage with the key in the ON position.
Please check voltages with the key in ACC position, not the ON position. If you have points, they can burn out quickly with the key in ON and the engine not running. Everything is the same in ACC as ON except a couple RUN-only lines.

Thanks very much for sending the helpful troubleshooting tips and i did test the turn signal flasher 2-prong connector above the glovebox 2 weeks ago and had no power to that plug.have to start from the newer turn signal switch i replaced earlier this year up through the wires that lead up to turn signal flasher. Thanks-Joe K.-

Thanks very much for sending the helpful troubleshooting tips and i did test the turn signal flasher 2-prong connector above the glovebox 2 weeks ago and had no power to that plug.have to start from the newer turn signal switch i replaced earlier this year up through the wires that lead up to turn signal flasher. Thanks-Joe K.-

The power for the flashers is pulled directly off fuse #6 at the fuse box (296C White w/Purple stripe). If you have no power at the flasher relay with the ignition in On or Acc, then you need to back track to the fuse box. If you have power at both sides of the fuse, then there may be a break in the White w/Purple stripe between there and the flasher relay. You could temporarily jump power to the relay to see if your turn signals will work.

Keep in mind that if your four way hazards and brake lights work, there is a good chance that the turn signal switch and it's wiring are okay. The flasher relay breaks the power to the switch, not the other way around.

1704857972671.png

1704858156529.png

Hello,i have a 1972 Mustang Hardtop and need to replace all the relays above the glovebox where my turn signal flasher is located.-Thanks very much.-Joe K.-
makes it much easier to replace if you take dash pad off.

Back