New Mustang Owner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet that Lincoln is regretting signing that organ donor card...

I was surprised that it only took me 3.5 hours to pull the engine and tranny.

enginecomingout.jpg

Minor boring update... Lincoln leaves the garage, Mustang enters. My wife is the first to drive it - while being towed with a quad. I was sad to discover the brake master cylinder is full of nothing but rust. I haven't searched a lot yet, but I guess disc brake conversions are fairly inexpensive, so I'm putting that on the list. I wonder if the booster and master off the Lincoln will work.

I ordered a gasket kit, freeze plugs, and an inline electric pump which I'll need for the EFI system.

mikkidrivestang.jpg

Welcome from Calif!

Looks like great find(s). The 71-73 converts look awesome.

Btw, gas is cheep in AZ at $3.49.

Regular 87 is now $4.05 at the "no name" stations in San Jose.
San Jose? I'm in Sunnyvale

I have been resealing the engine, replacing freeze plugs and ordering parts. I'll be ordering a gas tank & sender today. Look at this... Looks like motor oil coming out of the gas tank.

tanksludge.jpg

oldfuelunit.jpg

I did a test fit of the engine and as expected, I need to convert it to front sump, so those parts are on the way too.

testfit1.jpg

My step-father doesn't want to invest any time or money in making the engine pretty. I'm torn as to whether or not I'm going to do it anyway. Here's how it looks after multiple pressure washes and manual scrubbing. Still ugly...

cleanprogress1.jpg

cleanprogress2.jpg

freezeplugs1.jpg

freezeplugs2.jpg

My step-father doesn't want to invest any time or money in making the engine pretty. I'm torn as to whether or not I'm going to do it anyway. Here's how it looks after multiple pressure washes and manual scrubbing. Still ugly...
Shame on him. :mad:

Even though it will be his car it is your work - your signature. Everytime he opens the hood he will say, "my son-in-law put that engine in" and what will people think?

OK, I decided I just couldn't stand it. Let the cleaning begin!

This is an interesting (to me anyway) pic. This is the underside of the lower intake manifold. On the right is after soaking in diluted Purple Power solution and pressure washing. The middle section is just pressure washing, and the left section is just after being soaked without a rinse.

bottomofintake.jpg

Here's the injectors before sonic cleaning:

dirtyinjectors.jpg

Here's a good indication of just how nasty this thing was leaking. It leaked oil from everywhere it could leak (hopefully not the heads since I don't intend to pull them) - even the lifter valley had oil seeping out of it.

everythingleaks.jpg

I have finished with the front and rear seals, and I did one valve cover, but it's coming back off for paint. I can't do the oil pan until I get the new pan and pickup sump. I'm also waiting on the new gas tank and sender, so I have a few days to keep cleaning.

Way to go for it!

I find the comparison picture interesting as well. How long did you soak and what ratio was your soulution?
It was about 25% Purple Power and 75% water in a kitty litter bucket. The really clean section soaked about 10 hours. I wish I could do that to the block.

FYI, that Purple Power at full strength is awesome for carbs and fuel injectors in a sonic cleaner. I did the injectors in my turbo Lexus which don't have the plastic pintle cover and they looked awesome. See...

440-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I decided I just couldn't stand it. Let the cleaning begin!

This is an interesting (to me anyway) pic. This is the underside of the lower intake manifold. On the right is after soaking in diluted Purple Power solution and pressure washing. The middle section is just pressure washing, and the left section is just after being soaked without a rinse.

bottomofintake.jpg

Here's the injectors before sonic cleaning:

dirtyinjectors.jpg

Here's a good indication of just how nasty this thing was leaking. It leaked oil from everywhere it could leak (hopefully not the heads since I don't intend to pull them) - even the lifter valley had oil seeping out of it.

everythingleaks.jpg

I have finished with the front and rear seals, and I did one valve cover, but it's coming back off for paint. I can't do the oil pan until I get the new pan and pickup sump. I'm also waiting on the new gas tank and sender, so I have a few days to keep cleaning.
Your the second person I've seen use that Purple Power. I'm definetly getting 5 gallon for my pressure washer.That stuff works great.

Your the second person I've seen use that Purple Power. I'm definetly getting 5 gallon for my pressure washer.That stuff works great.
Just be careful, it WILL eat aluminum - it says so on the jug.

More progress...

It's converted to front sump, and the timing cover is soaking. With a little luck, I may be able to fire it up this weekend. I'm sure it won't move though.

cleanedandpainted.jpg

Back