New Mustang Owner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure he will appreciate that. looks great. As for the purple power, the fella I know had it drawing out of the drum and mixing with the pressure washer. Did a great job on the block and heads.

OK, the engine is finally all sealed up. I just had to see it in the car - and see if I could get away with the exhaust manifolds that already have o2 bungs in them. No love man, no love... The driver manifold hits the steering box. I'll use the 302 manifolds and weld bung holes in the exhaust pipe.

testfit2.jpg

I'm really starting to worry about the transmission. I have read that the crossmember doesn't work and I can see a difference in the lengths of the C6 compared to the AOD. In addition, the output shafts are totally different, so the driveshaft won't work. I'm hoping I can mate the front yoke off the Lincoln to the Mustang shaft. Time will tell.

Sounds like a long day at NAPA finding matching u-joint cap sizes.
A quick search at O'Reilly shows the Spicer 1330 is used in the front of BOTH cars depending on options. I'll let you, my new Pony friends, know later today if they are a match!

So I made a mistake - well a few mistakes yesterday.

1. I bought the wrong U-Joints

2. The dipstick dilemma...

I had read that the dipstick needs to be relocated to the front of the engine, but I thought it was because it was being done in a earlier body style and it was for clearance purposes. Well, no... It's because after you convert to front sump, the dipstick doesn't go into the deep part of the pan anymore. So after modifying the new oil pan (there was no "bulge" for the dipstick tube to clear) I realized it was for nothing.

I was frustrated, so I dropped the old gas tank. NASTY. What a chore too, The bolts were rusted and the square end that's supposed to be held stationary by a slot in the frame did not do its job and the bolt just spun.

I've found a pair of bolt cutters very handy for such.
I got them loose enough to slide over and pop the heads out of the round hole. After having them down, there's enough room to grip the head and impact the nut off. I'm retapping them and reusing them, but will tack weld the heads in place while the new tank is still empty.

New bolts are 3.00

Item #1054

71-73 GAS TANK BOLT KIT

Price: $3.00

Yeah, I'm getting new bolts. I was going to reuse them to avoid a trip out yesterday, but since I didn't finish with the tank yesterday, no sense in reusing them.

The exhaust is modified and has the o2 sensors installed and the engine is bolted in place with the transmission attached. It will need a custom crossmember because the pan hits the existing one. The fuel system is mostly complete, just need to tidy up the return line. I have the computer mounted (OK sitting) inside the cab and a good feel for where the rest of the harness will route. I just need to do a few little hookups and I can fire the motor. Unfortunately my Ford truck got jealous of all the attention I have been giving the Mustang and tells me she is about to poop her transmission after a mere 204,000 miles. Also competing for my time is a clutch for one of the dirt bikes and my Ditch Witch I got free on craigslist.

I spent a few hours on Saturday doing wiring. She has spark, but no injector pulse. I have some ideas to try, but it will have to wait. Sunday I was sick and it carried on through today. I'm sure it will be running soon. I'm trying to decide if I want to build my own crossmember or buy one.

I have injector pulse now, but it won't quite fire up. I'm pretty sure its just timing, but still too sick to continue.

OK, got it running. No o2 sensors, straight out of the manifolds, who knows what else. Ran like crap, but it ran. STILL sick, but it was nice to hear it run. The crossmember will be here on Friday, so maybe this weekend it will move the rear wheels.

The issue was that power was dropping to the coil through the Lincoln harness. When I "hot wired" the coil it fired up. I actually had it running on a Toyota coil because the Ford coil broke. The high voltage lead just snapped off when pulling the wire. Also strange is that when I power the TFI properly, I get no spark. If it only gets power from the "run" position and not 12v from the starter relay, it has spark.

I may have to postpone this project for a while. My Lexus has an intermittent issue where it has no spark, my daughters Lexus snapped a lower ball joint - which I still can't believe, and finally the tranny in my truck decided that first gear is unneccesary. So, $300 for a transmission jack, $250 for a used transmission of unknown condition, $350 for a lower control arm, (Lexus wanted over $900), and just for a little kick in the nutz, $200 to reattach a molar crown for my wife. Just ranting...

I may have to postpone this project for a while. My Lexus has an intermittent issue where it has no spark, my daughters Lexus snapped a lower ball joint - which I still can't believe, and finally the tranny in my truck decided that first gear is unneccesary. So, $300 for a transmission jack, $250 for a used transmission of unknown condition, $350 for a lower control arm, (Lexus wanted over $900), and just for a little kick in the nutz, $200 to reattach a molar crown for my wife. Just ranting...
Wow, when it rains it pours. Hopefully things will calm down a bit!!

Thankfully I'm just the wrench monkey on this project, not the financier. I was just complaining about all the non-Mustang I work I have to do.

I have the radiator in and the belt on, so I can actually run the engine for more than a few seconds. It runs horrible. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with removing the smog pump stuff. I don't have a vacuum line to the EGR valve, so maybe that's it. It's throwing lots of EGR codes.

The transmission is fully bolted in now which revealed that even with a trim to the front yoke on the driveshaft, it's still too long. It also dropped the front of the engine a half inch which made the fan hit the shroud. I dropped the radiator support a half inch and all is well.

I'll take a video later today of the engine running, but for now, here's some random pics.

dirtybrakes.jpg

crossmember.jpg

itruns.jpg

fuelpump.jpg

Back