New Mustang Owner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello from Eastern Canada. Look forward to posts on your progress::welcome::

I made the rear wheels move under their own power. Turns out I had to shorten the driveshaft. I did it myself and I'm rather proud of the results.

driveshaftshortened.jpg

The brakes are coming along. I was a little surprised to see broken springs and stuff in this one.

brokebrakes.jpg

It's still not running right. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with this distributor. Maybe the engine compartment isn't tidy enough?

gaydistributor.jpg

Car looks like it is coming along. I have to admit your distributor joke had me laughing. Is the car going to have A/C?
I'm glad you liked the joke - hope I didn't offend anyone...

The car will remain without A/C.

I "drove" it on Friday. I moved it from one garage bay to another. There is no rear brakes because after I replaced all the hydraulics and bled them, I hit the brakes and heard fluid spewing out of the rear. Sigh... Anyway, I plugged the master cylinder port to the rear brakes so I could move it. I wanted my longer "service bay" for replacing the transmission in my truck.

Still, it was very cool to have it move under its own power. Judging by the "fuel" in the old tank and the bone dry brakes, I'd guess this car hasn't propelled itself in 10+ years. I'd post pics of the car in a different spot, but my FTP site is having issues.

Is that a Z31 i see in the background?
Yeah, I have had a lot of Z31's. Turbo, NA, manual, auto... etc. That one is actually my Dad's - he lives with me. It gets driven once a month or so to go to the grocery store.

Cool I had a 85 turbo 5peed. Fun car. was running around 10psi when a new timing belt broke and cooked the engine. I was so sad.
Yeah, interference engines suck. I ran my turbos around 12 PSI. They were spunky, but needed a different fuel system and an intercooler to put down any real power.

i ran a FMIC with NISTune, then an old jim wolfe ECU. I have to say these old mustangs are way less complicated :)

However they put a smile on everyone's face when they got into it. I was going to replace the engine but 2nd gear syncro was starting to wear out and someone offered up 2k as it sits so it went bye bye.

I fabricated the upper radiator mounts and decided it was time to get inside and work on the electrical systems.

Holy Henry Ford! Is this factory with these solderless connectors?

wiringmess.JPG

I also started cleaning up the gauge faces. Can you tell which one I did?

polished.JPG

Before any cleaning, it looked like the clock in this picture:

clock.JPG

I need to vacuum behind the dash. I really hate packrats. Evil little bastards.

packrat.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a while since I touched the Mustang because my other cars needed big work. So, Lexus clutch is done, and the "no first gear turns into V10 rebuild" job on the truck is done too.

I cleaned up and polished more gauges. I'm very pleased with how the clock turned out:

cleanclock.JPG

I replaced the dash pad and painted the metal part:

dashbefore.JPG

dashafter.JPG

Back