Oil dipstick location 351w F4TE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys

Does anyone of you guys in here know where the dipstick is located on a 1994 351w engine? Is it in the timing cover or in the block?

I need a new timing cover for my 351w engine and just want to make sure I get the right one.. :)

Hmm when you say in oil pan, is that through the side of the block or what? I've bought a Milodon oil pan there is wider in the bottom and there is no mount for a dipstick in that one. It's also a oil pan there fits our models with front sump, maybe they are different from each other for the new and old engines :)

And yes I think this is going to be fun when I'm finished with it. I am building a 393w stroker as my first engine project. :-D

On my 94 F150 with the 5.8L, on the driver side, there should be a little indent with a port for the oil dipstick. The truck has a rear sump pan. If you have a front sump pan, you'll want to have the dipstick in the timing cover, or in the side of the pan. If you have a rear sump pan, you can use the dipstick port in the block or in the side of the pan. If it wasn't pouring outside right now, I'd go out to the truck and take a picture or it for you.

I hope that helps.

I was reading your posts again. With the front sump pan without a dipstick port "in" the pan, you'll need the dipstick in the timing cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dorman makes timing covers for 351Ws. For example, for 1969 351W the part number is 635107, $92.00. You need to make sure that whatever you buy is compatible with any brackets or accessories that attach to the timing cover.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back