OK just what does label this mean?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detector

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code
1995 GT Convertible
I'm feeling really stupid here but I'm drawing a blank on what this diagram means. My starter is grinding so I pulled it out. I just put a new one on this summer. I noticed this label and that my bolts don't seem to fit what it is saying. Here is a picture of the label and one of the bolts that is on my starter.

73starterbolt.jpg

Max shank diameter of 5/16" so that it does not get into the threads preventing the bolt from snugging the starter.

Max length of 1.45" so it doesn't bottom out in the bellhousing before snugging the starter.

How thick is the flange on the starter where the bolt goes through?

A good rule of thumb (whatever thumb rules are??) for bolt length is 1.5 to 2 times thread diameter of thread engagement in the piece you are bolting into. For example a 1/2" bolt should have 3/4" to 1" of thread engagement into the tapped hole. I hope that makes sense.

I'm feeling really stupid here but I'm drawing a blank on what this diagram means. My starter is grinding so I pulled it out. I just put a new one on this summer. I noticed this label and that my bolts don't seem to fit what it is saying. Here is a picture of the label and one of the bolts that is on my starter.
Is this on the 73? I don't recognize that label.

Yes it was on the 73. I was happy to see the top bolt hole goes all the way through and has a flat spot on the backside. I just got a longer bolt and put a washer and nut on the back side.

Latest posts

Back