Opinion for Master Cylinder

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSTL

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang fastback 351w c4 tranny being worked into a resto-mod.
So in about 2-3 weeks I'm converting my 71's manual all drum system to a manual disc front/drum rear system. Brakes are on their way, as well as new proportioning valve, but no master cylinder yet. I'd like the opinions of anyone who has been down this road their opinion on bore size with our cars. I personally don't mind too much if I have to put a little leg behind it. I'm choosing between 7/8 and 1 inch since it is manual brakes we are talking about. Thanks!

I ordered wilwoods and should have flat out asked them when I was on the phone with them yesterday. I'm feeling pretty certain they are going to suggest their 7/8 cylinder that is the only one applicable to 71-73 mustang. 200 dollar asking price for that bad boy.

I don't know if Ford ever used a manual disk brake MC with a 7/8" bore. This might be a good compromise, a 15/16" bore for a Mustang II, with V8 and manual disks:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dhb-m85365/overview/year/1976/make/ford/model/mustang-ii

It won't build up your quadriceps quite as much...
It would explain why my search for a 7/8 was so challenging. the one I did find is aftermarket manufactured by Wilwood. So lack of selection, and the wildwood name, would certainly explain some of the pricepoint I ran into there. I will dig into the 15/16 as that might be my best bet after all is said and done. I appreciate your input very much!

Some have used a Maverick manual disk master cylinder from a 1976 model. I don't recall the piston size off hand but it just might work for your application.

I spoke with wilwood tech support and they said for a manual disc/drum setup a 7/8 bore would in fact be too small and it was suggested 1 inch would be the way to go with a 5 1/2 to 6:1 brake pedal ratio. I appreciate the insight of everyone here very much.

BrewSTL,

Please take a look at http://www.mpbrakes.com/. The have a great technical knowledge base that will help answer a lot of questions about brakes.

FAQ's http://www.mpbrakes.com/reference-faqs

mustang7173
I ended up going with the master cylinder suggested by this site, and ordered it from CJ yesterday. Thanks for the added security from the suggestion, though! I will return to the subject after I am finished with the install to give an update on how it works out. Unfortunately, the weather here doesn't look like it is going to be very great for hanging out in the garage so we will have to wait and see on a time frame. Usually the excitement pushes me through with motivation, but with temps below the teens it is hard.

I converted my all drum manual brakes to all disc manual brakes and stuck with my original proportioning valve and my original master cylinder. Been running it like that for several years now with no issues.

Latest posts

Back