Original 71 Mangum 500 Value

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only Magnums with shiny spokes were the 1970 Boss wheels if I remember correctly? they might have been 8" wide? I just bought a set of 15x7's for my 72, driver condition but nice looking I paid $400 with shipping and thought it was a deal. The chrome on original wheels was never that good to start with now 40 years later....

I wouldn't refer to them as fake because the have trim rings. The came on torinos, cougars, LTD II's and Rancheros up until 79. I saw some once on a Maverick, they cleaned them up and painted all argent with black centers and they looked real nice without the trim rings.

I think fake magnums with trim rings were later 73 -74 - up rims

They were never available on 71-3 Mustangs
I beg to differ...

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-73-mach-1--8335?page=2&highlight=sales+brochure

I should probably scan my entire 73 brochure and put it here....maybe I already did.
Where in the brochure is there a mention or pic of Magnum 500s?

Last edited by a moderator:
To support my opinion, I am relying on my recollection of the show room I spent time in(2 blocks from my home) during 1971, 1972, 1973. I am using the sales brochure as supporting though not conclusive evidence. I was 13 in 1971, but thought this Mustang and the next 2 years that followed were beautiful in every regard. So, I paid attention to many details in this regard.

I understand sales brochures/pamphlets are not always accurate. But when we have urinating contests, I would generally support the brochure. But if someone has photos, that would be good as well.

On my moms 73 stang, we only had the center hub cap with color matching wheels. We had to buy beauty rims....$5 a piece as I recall. So, that is not much help.

In any event, this guy looks like he has gone through too much trouble to be wrong:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/wheels.htm

Perhaps MARTI can help us out here in regards to the wheel options.

To support my opinion, I am relying on my recollection of the show room I spent time in(2 blocks from my home) during 1971, 1972, 1973. I am using the sales brochure as supporting though not conclusive evidence. I was 13 in 1971, but thought this Mustang and the next 2 years that followed were beautiful in every regard. So, I paid attention to many details in this regard.

I understand sales brochures/pamphlets are not always accurate. But when we have urinating contests, I would generally support the brochure. But if someone has photos, that would be good as well.

On my moms 73 stang, we only had the center hub cap with color matching wheels. We had to buy beauty rims....$5 a piece as I recall. So, that is not much help.

In any event, this guy looks like he has gone through too much trouble to be wrong:

Wolverine - yes great info from the 429 Megasite - same link as my previous post in this same thread.

Seems like this one thread tried to go three different directions

correct Magnum 500 wheels for our cars

Body side tape stripes

and then "other" wheels that resemble the correct Magnum 500's.

All good - at least the conversation helps to sort out the facts from all the misinformation.

Ray

Well Dad swears when he was looking at the option sheet at the dealer that both Dark Blue and Magnums were on it. Steve73QMach1 has provided us with some great original documentation that shows the color charts covered Mustangs, Torinos, Thunderbirds, Rancheros, mavericks, pintos and all ford cars: So I can see the confusing to the buyers back in the day and many of us trying to recall info

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-original-1973-ford-paint-color-chart

And notice the magnums have a price on his original order form:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mach-1-original-order-form

My understanding is that Magnum 500 were an option only item, at least on my J-code they were, and the good thing is that they are still on the car...

Ford purchase order (3).JPG

Wolverine

Maybe we are talking about different wheels

Your brochure reference shows

Trim rings and dog dish caps , that was an option

That is probably what was on your mom's 73

The other magnums that were referenced - painted type with a trim ring ,

I called fake magnums - were not available on 71-3's

Don

According to Marti's "Mustang...by the Numbers (1967 - 1973)", the following applies as it relates to Magnum 500s on the 1971 - 1973 Mustangs:

213 Hardtops had the Magnum 500

4,070 Fastbacks had the Magnum 500

104 Convertibles had the Magnum 500

1,148 Hardtops had the Magnum 500

6,292 Fastbacks had the Magnum 500

296 Convertibles had the Magnum 500

Magnum 500s not an option, however Aluminum Wheels were an option

999 Hardtops had Aluminum Wheels

8,085 Fastbacks had Aluminum Wheels

1,022 Convertibles had Aluminum Wheels

I hope this helps and not further "muddy the waters" as to the discussions on this thread:).

BT

Back