Package Tray Question

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

rdm1952

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Has anyone found a better option to the fiberboard package tray in 71 fastbacks. I bought a new one and in no time the fiberboard faded and warped to make it look like crap. even a home designed option would be okay. Have the time to mess with it before shows start in the coming summer. 

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
I bought mine from NPD back in '06. It's not perfect, but it still looks good. Sprayed it with a coat of sating black before installation. IMO, you could use hardboard from your local home improvement center and trace the pattern from your existing part. A couple light coats of interior color should do the trick. 

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
I made my own from a piece of 1/8 fiber board (hardboard). I also installed hidden 4" speakers into it, then covered it with some "generic carpet" I found at a local auto parts store. It's like a felt material with no backing, and actually looks like it should be there. I don't think I have any close up pics to show, but I can take a couple if needed. Here's one, best I've got right now. You can see it's a kind of fuzzy material.

DSC00433 (3).JPG