Power Steering Pump leaking ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpstang72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
351C 2v, 4bbl,FMX, 9" Rear 3.50 gears
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well with their restoration projects.

I have a question about my power steering pump leaking. It never leaked before, but I was test driving it the other day and there was fluid shooting towards the shock tower apron wall. I checked and could not find it, so I pulled off the pump and tightened the big bolts behind the pump for the pressure hose, and also tightened the other (return) hose. Funny part is, I cant see it leaking when the car is idle in park, but once I drive it, its all over the shock tower apron. I cleaned the whole area once put back together, but still couldnt find where it was leaking from.Both hoses are brand new, so is the pump. its only wet around that area, rag joint area and the box is dry and clean. What could it be? The dipstick is stuck tight, plus there wouldnt be that much pressure. Has anyone experienced that before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sharpstang72

At idle, there is no real pressure in the supply line from the pump to steering box. There is not a lot of pressure in the return line, but it may still be leaking. You will need to either have someone inside the car turn the wheel left and right, or just reach down and twist the steering shaft (if you can reach it safely).

There may be a pin hole in a hose, or a defective fitting.

Hose leak. Take it (or both) to a local hydraulic hose outfit and they can probably manufacture a new one in 30 minutes to replace your original.

At idle, there is no real pressure in the supply line from the pump to steering box. There is not a lot of pressure in the return line, but it may still be leaking. You will need to either have someone inside the car turn the wheel left and right, or just reach down and twist the steering shaft (if you can reach it safely).

+1 Chuck

Mine leaked out the dip stick filler cap. It was overheating because I forgot to reinstall the power steering cooler. Once I did that, it never leaked again. When it did leak, it got all over the shock towers also. Good luck!

The big O ring on the power steering pump reservoir might be leaking.

Mine never came w/a cooler plus it never leaked before. Where is the big O ring? Is it where the pressure hose goes in the back where 2 big bolts are?

Thanks,

I would re-tighten the hoses down by the rag joint area. I had a leak a few weeks ago, and discovered that although I thought I had tightened the hoses, they needed to be a little tighter. I had my neighbour look inside the engine bay while I turned the wheel, and he could see the fluid leaking from the coupling. I disconnected the line and retightened it. Leak is now gone. Good luck.

On my 73 I had a problem just like that and it was about to drive me crazy. It took a long time to find but what I found was the small tube from the pressure side on the pump up to the pressure hose , only about 4" long ,had pin holes in it. Sad thing that piece is not reproduced, I had to find one in a junk yard.

Mine never came w/a cooler plus it never leaked before. Where is the big O ring? Is it where the pressure hose goes in the back where 2 big bolts are?

Thanks,
RIght on! Maybe it is the O ring brother ramair speaks of. Here is what the Gates power steering pump rebuild kit looks like. You can find a kit at just about any major parts store.

sc8dxj.jpg

Right.

Dan @ Chockostang

I've tried everything stated above from several members but no luck in finding the leak. I think it is the O ring or the gasket for the reservoir. I just order the rebuilt kit w/all the gaskets which I will use to replace the O ring and other gaskets if need be. Thanks for all the help guys.

Sharpstang72,

Damn, still no luck. I'm just going to replace the damn thing and see what happens. I've done everything mentioned above from members and still it leaks out of the blue when it wants to. I had the car running for about 5 minutes, nicely warmed up and no leak, took it for a drive down the street opend the hood, checked and nothing. Came home after another 5 minutes of driving and there it was, P/S fluid all over the shock tower apron. Again, thanks for your help guys.

Yahoo, found it. I had the car in idle and the wife turned the wheel after the car warmed up (5 Mins.). The fluid started coming out of the reservoir where the dipstick goes. the metal round head piece on the dipstick is kinda wobbly, but when I put the dipstick on the reservoir it sits tightly. What could it be? The fluid is coming outta there? I thought it was over flooded, but its not. Should I check the fluid level w/the car running or w/out? Do these dipsticks go bad? Anybody has an extra power steering pump disptick? Where can I get one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Atleast, I now know that the hoses and the pump isnt bad? Or I think. Can the pump be bad, since the fluid is coming out of the reservoir by the dipstick? Again, thanks and any ideas are welcomed.

Yahoo, found it. I had the car in idle and the wife turned the wheel after the car warmed up (5 Mins.). The fluid started coming out of the reservoir where the dipstick goes. the metal round head piece on the dipstick is kinda wobbly, but when I put the dipstick on the reservoir it sits tightly. What could it be? The fluid is coming outta there? I thought it was over flooded, but its not. Should I check the fluid level w/the car running or w/out? Do these dipsticks go bad? Anybody has an extra power steering pump disptick? Where can I get one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Atleast, I now know that the hoses and the pump isnt bad? Or I think. Can the pump be bad, since the fluid is coming out of the reservoir by the dipstick? Again, thanks and any ideas are welcomed.
It is checked cold and not running. Chuck

Cool! nOw you know where the leak is coming from. Like I said earlier, mine did the same and after installing a cooler, it never leaked again, BUT since yours never came with a cooler and we both had very similar problems, then maybe I just got lucky and the cooler wasn't the problem. So, what could it be? Sounds very much like air getting into the system or air trapped in the system. It's purging itself and the quickest way out is through the filler cap. Are you using Automatic Trans fluid Type F? If not, I would switch back and only use this type of fluid.

No, I think thats where I messed up. I used prestone power steering fluid. How should I drain the fluid out to replace it w/trans type F? Remove the pump, turn it upside down?

Thanks...

If you need one we have chrome or zinc plated

Item #C7AZ-3006-C

67-73 POWER STEERING PUMP DIP STICK, CHROME

Chrome plated with FoMoCo script. Official Ford Licensed product. Fomoco logo.

Price: $17.95

Item #C7AZ-3006

67-73 POWER STEERING PUMP DIP STICK, ZINC

Zinc plated with FoMoCo script. Official Ford Licensed product. Fomoco logo.

Price: $16.95

Latest posts

Back