Power steering rack w/o pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
what damage can be done by using a rack from a powersteering car without a pump? Can a guy just plug off the hose holes and go, instead of swapping over to a manual rack n pinion steering....

Well whatever its called that the pumps hoses run too:)

It's the steering gear box and it'll be harder then hell to turn. I'm not sure if it would damage the box over time or not. Is your pump broke? You can rebuild the pump or have it done . I would do that or find a manual steering gear or if you got the cash, there are plenty of rack an pinion kits out there.

It's the steering gear box and it'll be harder then hell to turn. I'm not sure if it would damage the box over time or not. Is your pump broke? You can rebuild the pump or have it done . I would do that or find a manual steering gear or if you got the cash, there are plenty of rack an pinion kits out there.
X2 on that... The steering gear box is different and it is a lot harder to turn... My 72 has power steering and it is the first mustang i have that has it.. I personally prefer manual steering cause it is much more stiff and i like that, besides, if you have the original manual steering configuration, it is not heavy at all, even with 205 or 210 step tires...

If you unplug your power steering it is possible that you can´t even drive it safely..

The thing you can and possibly you end up damaging is the steering column linkages to the body or the steering wheel movements cause they are not designed to apply such a strength onto them...

If you find your power steering too soft, maybe there´s another way to make it a little harder... I´ll be interested on that info too ;)

Hope it helps!!

No mines not broken but I didnt put power steering back on the new engine. Its actually not any harder to steer than my brothers was (factory manual steering, same engine) I can get a manual box I guess, I didn't know if it would hurt anything, not that id care if it did id just put a manual in.

Ohh.. i see your problem then...

If you can get a manual steering and that doesn´t change your drivetain configuration, then do it...

If you run the car making too much effort to the steering column you will spoil it in no time... I had a 1970 hardtop with manual steering but the previous owner used some big tires on front and the hole steering column was garbage... Everything was a little loose, with noises and stuff...

Anyway... You can try it for a couple of monthes and then decide...

You "could" do it if you wanted to, but I wouldn't. The power box uses a torsion rod to drive the innards. That rod is only about 1/4" in diameter. Also, you'd be running the box without any lubricant....

, there are plenty of rack an pinion kits out there.

R&P kits for 71-73??? (Remember, we are the forgotten step child in the Mustang world!)

RRS does have a new kit for 71-73, but I have never seen one from another vendor. Anybody install a RRS R&P kit yet??

There ARE plenty of kits for those 65-70 cars.

Ill have to look again but I swear I saw a kit for 1200, dark horses racing maybe? Can't remember, I think just a manual box will suffice, not looking to set any road course records...

The 71-73 factory variable ratio steering box is the "best" you can get, without going to R&P. The variable ratio Saginaw box was also used in Grand Nationals, Monte Carlo SSes and Corvettes - with excellent results.

The box gets sloppy with age due to wear in the seals and output shaft bearing. I've rebuilt a handful and the difference in feel is amazing. Rebuilding the box, all new ball joints, tie rods, pitman/idler arm and a fresh alignment will make a world of difference.

Haha, Don at Ohio found me a manual box, Ill probobly do the rag joint here at the same time. Anything else I should look into while im in that area?

Latest posts

Back