powerglide in my stang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are talking about 2 speed GM powerglide right? There are adapters to fit GM to ford but not sure where to get them anymore. I am not into racing but surely someone on here knows this stuff

You are talking about 2 speed GM powerglide right? There are adapters to fit GM to ford but not sure where to get them anymore. I am not into racing but surely someone on here knows this stuff
correct a powerglide! i think i should go with a c4 at times cuz i can use all stock stuff for our car and i got the traction in the suspension. its just that a powerglide is less and easier to maintain.

I checked a few GM racing trans shops I have dealt with and non of them were aware of a gear set that would adapt a Chevy slipn'slide to a Ford speedo.

I would really recommend the c4. Anything will need service if you're racing, but my friend used to drive to the drags, launch on the trans brake at 5k and drive home.

It will bolt in and tons of shops build them.

I'm trying to decide between buying a PA built unit or buy their parts and have mine rebuilt. Summit sells the PA units at a good discount.

I believe Art Carr use to have conversion kits to bolt a 700r4 and 200r4 GM trans to a Ford. That may have something for you.

Are you getting rid of your TKO?

Where do you need speedometer? :) You've got rpm tach don't you? It's easy to calculate your speed from the rpm versus the gear you're using exspecially when using only two gears.

Whose Glide you're looking for? Aftermarket case or with std PG with shawed off bellhousing and using aftermarket 429/460 bellhousing bolted to the front sump of the PG? Going for PG means that your highway cruising rpm raises skyhigh after overdrive manual but surely makes the grudge night easyer...

My buddies (from the Finland) ordered frou TH200R4 trannies for their BBF and BBC engines. It is lightweight but stout overdrive transmission. They bought the transmission from here:

http://www.extremeautomatics.com/

If I would stay under 1000 hp and would like to have some serious quarter action plus overdrive, I would probably go with the TH200R4. They don't have aftermarket cases for the TH200 but they use std case and adapter for 429.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many are using ths TH400 out an RV now as opposed to the powerglide. No arc in the gears, more clutches in the clutch packs,uses only 2nd and drive and bellhousing modification is pretty strait up and down.

Are you getting rid of your TKO?
i haven't decided, i may be somebody who swaps in and out a trans from auto for season racing and manual to cruise.

i've decided to ditch the chebby idea and stay ford. c4 from performance auto and they guarantee the trans for life and people send in their trans for freshen ups all the time.

Last edited:
Back