Pulling Engine and Transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parforever

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Anybody able to tell me if I can pull the engine and transmission at the same time on a 71 Mach I with 351C and FMX transmission. Want to pull together but need to know if its possible.

Thanks

Definitely possible, but it'll be messy and you'll need lots of maneuverability (along with spotters/movers) to keep the tail-shaft housing from bashing anything important on the way out (and back in, I'm assuming). Make sure to plug the output shaft housing - you'll never get ALL the ATF out of the FMX by simply draining it flat, and when you crank up the angle, it'll go everywhere you don't want it to.

I wouldn't do it that way personally (because I've never done it like that before), but if you're comfortable with it, it certainly can be done.

I remember watching the 'experts' on Desert Car Wars struggle for an hour to remove a 351C/C4 from a '70s Torino, and then struggle trying to stuff it back into a same-year Ranchero for their auction. Took them almost an hour to get it out, then even more time to get it into the Ranchero. I just shook my head watching them fight with it... they didn't even empty the fluids or anything (how ghetto is that?).

I had my FMX out in about 10 minutes from underneath, and the 351C/2V out in 15 minutes (with the torque converter still attached to the flywheel because the engine was seized). It took me less time to drop the 351C back in than it did to find the chain for the engine hoist (5-10 minutes), then all of 5 minutes to pop in the AOD (that replaced the FMX) from underneath. I was fortunate enough to have a lift at my disposal, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus 1 to what Mister 4X4 said. I pulled my 4 speed toploader out in 20-25 min. And then pulled the cleveland out in about 15-20 minutes. All of this was done by myself. Thats with everything unhooked. I considered pulling it out in one piece, but after talking to a few members I decided to do it in 2 pieces. The real problem with pulling them out as one is the clearances you need. The car will need to be up higher to get the angle needed to get the tranny out. And with that, the ceiling in the shop must be high enough, and with that you must have a lift that goes high enough. Plus at least 2 people.

And yes, drain the fluids. Ask me how I know !!:mad::dodgy: I put a cap on the tail shaft of my tranny, dropped the end down, broke the cap off that I just put on, then I was wearing a qt of gear oil on my chest !:blush:

And, the engine lift has to be extended way out, which makes it very front heavy and subject to tipping. But if I was doing it without a lift, I would pull both at once.

Ahem! 351M with C6 by myself
I've done it both ways by myself. If you have access to a good transmission jack and you can get the car high enough then separately is probably "easier" but will take a little longer. Whichever way you go a load leveler is highly recommended.

If I am going to service the transmission anyways I pull them both at the same time. The angles get a little crazy like the guys noted above.

If I am only doing engine work I leave the tranny in the car.

I don't have a lift, this is all done on the floor...

I have pulled both at the same time many times by myself. Even when I install mine I bolt up the motor tranny and headers all at same time and it all fits nicely.

Show off. :rolleyes: rofl

Nah, I've just never done them together is all I was saying.

I can't see how it would really be any easier or quicker either way. I guess it just depends on what kind of extraction equipment and work area you might have.

Good luck with it either way. :D

With an automatic I pull both at the same time. With a manual I pull the trans and then the engine and bellhousing together. If you can come up with an extra slip yoke for the trans it cuts down on the mess a ton! Be thorough and make sure everything is disconnected.

Well, it wasn't as easy as you all said but not terribly bad. Got the engine out and will take the tranny out tomorrow. Used a hoist and now its on an engine stand. I had completly redone the entire engine and it looked great! Now that I pulled it I can tell you I have much work to do underneath. The tranny is nasty, pretty sure 40+ old dirt is on this thing. I have had a blast restoring this thing. Now that the engine and tranny is pulled I'm taking in to redo the engine bay, floor pans and rear wheel housing. Once this gets done then we get to put it back together and then back for a paint job. Any advice is always welcome :)

Show off. :rolleyes: rofl

Nah, I've just never done them together is all I was saying.

I can't see how it would really be any easier or quicker either way. I guess it just depends on what kind of extraction equipment and work area you might have.

Good luck with it either way. :D
I just like assembling things out in the open as opposed to getting in and out from under the car because I work alone. I've actually got it down to a pretty good science.

With an automatic I pull both at the same time. With a manual I pull the trans and then the engine and bellhousing together. If you can come up with an extra slip yoke for the trans it cuts down on the mess a ton! Be thorough and make sure everything is disconnected.
I have a tennis ball that works pretty well at keeping the oil in the tranny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it wasn't as easy as you all said but not terribly bad. Got the engine out and will take the tranny out tomorrow. Used a hoist and now its on an engine stand. I had completly redone the entire engine and it looked great! Now that I pulled it I can tell you I have much work to do underneath. The tranny is nasty, pretty sure 40+ old dirt is on this thing. I have had a blast restoring this thing. Now that the engine and tranny is pulled I'm taking in to redo the engine bay, floor pans and rear wheel housing. Once this gets done then we get to put it back together and then back for a paint job. Any advice is always welcome :)
Good for you!

My advice for the engine bay is to go to a good paint place and tell them what you are doing. They will recommed primer and paint. If you don't have an air compressor now is the time. You don't need a fancy paint gun but I would recommend a good air mask (don't cheap out on your lungs). I turned my garage into a mini paint booth. I painted the engine compartment about 20 years ago and it still looks good. PREP PREP PREP.

You can go spray can but you won't like how it looks and it won't be a durable.

Back