Question on correct color scheme again.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detector

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code
1995 GT Convertible
In the end it will be my preference that will determine what color scheme I choose for my pony, but I'd like to know what it looked like originally and get as close as possible, within my likes of course.

Right now I have a question on my trim color. The NASA hood has been painted in black but it is not the original paint. Now looking at the grille it almost looks as though it was Argent. Or perhaps it is just badly faded black?

Also I seen where the grille meets the bumper painted with different layouts. Some have the little area, about 2" out on the bumper, pained the same color as the rest of the car and some have it painted black/argent. Which is correct? Mine looks to be painted either faded blackargentgnet. Here is some pictures of mine.

As you can see my headlight bezels are missing as well. What are the correct one? I've seen chrome, black/argent with chrome around the rim, and all black/argent.

73machfrnt-1.jpg

73machgrille.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Detector!! How are you!??...

Well...my imput will be just a little of personal experience but if you wait for the right guys, i´m sure they will be answer with some certain data of factory specs...

You´re asking about the grill color, aren´t you??... Well.. i have no clue in 73 grille models but at least,for sure in 1970, ford used a dark metalic grey paint on the plastic grille... For what i see in your pics, that can be it although, in my 72, the Mach 1 grille seems to be plain black...

I thought about searching for the right factory spec when i did my car but at that time i didn´t have access to you guys to make the question... Maybe in our year the dark metallic grey wasn´t used or maybe the problem is just my grille was repainted in mate black and it looked as good as original...

One thing is for sure, reproduction grilles comes in plastic black even in 1970... Not correct but so common to see repro grilles everywhere that people just forgot how they supposed to look... At least in my country :p

Thansk Damián

It is a Mach. Q code if that makes a difference?

I have had several 73 mustangs. There were two grills available for the year. The Mach 1 tended to made with the honeycomb style grill that was blackish, however my convertible and coupe had grills like yours, and my original spare grill looks metallic silvery dark gray (it isn't black. Some of the orginal ads seem to show a metallic silvery dark grey.

Terry, if you car was a true ram-air or if it got the two tone hood from the factory, then it would have the twist locks. In other words, if it's a two tone hood it is supposed to have twist locks to be 100% correct. I'll have to look at your Marti report again to tell you the colors.

Also, I have a 73 Q-code that is original except very rusty so I'll investigate the headlight trim pieces. I believe they were blacked out with chrome trim. I agree with the above statement; the grill in your pic is a standard grill. Next time we talk let me know what else you are missing.

As I believe "Totalled" inferred, the question as to what trim is "right" from the factory depends on whether your Mustang is a Fastback or a Mach 1.

The grill in the picture seems to indicate it is a Fastback as the '73 Mach 1s have the honeycomb grills from the Factory.

All '73 Mustangs have the bright headlight doors from the Factory, except for the Mach 1s.

All '73 Mustangs have color-keyed hood and front fender molding.

Source: 71 Ford Mustang Illustrated Facts Book

BT

Just noticed that you said it is a Mach 1 which seems to indicate that the grill has been changed.

Not trying to insult you but you might want to check the door tag to verify the code for the body style you are supposed to have. If it is a Mach 1, it should be "63R." The fastback is "63D."

BT

I went back and reviewed your Marti Report and note that beyond the audio system and wheel/tire combinations, Your mach 1 is an exact TWIN to my '73 Mach 1.

Having said that, I am 99.99% sure that your grill has been changed. I take it that your Mustang has also been repainted as all Mach 1s where supposed to have come with the side tape treatment.

Again, I am the original owner of my Mach 1 and since yours is a near duplicate as it relates to the Marti Report, I should be able to assist you with any questions you may have as to what the Mustang had "originally."

BT

Latest posts

Back