Ram Air

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
I know I need to get the upper plenum with flappers as well as the seal, but what is the deal with the air cleaner, I see them go for alot of money on ebay and stuff, but are they really that different from our factory ones. I see that the top plate is smaller and I get that

I just want to get some ideas on how some of you guys did it...... SOME PICS WOULD BE NICE

I know I need to get the upper plenum with flappers as well as the seal, but what is the deal with the air cleaner, I see them go for alot of money on ebay and stuff, but are they really that different from our factory ones. I see that the top plate is smaller and I get that

I just want to get some ideas on how some of you guys did it...... SOME PICS WOULD BE NICE
You will need the air cleaner

1- different size

2- it is off-set

3- has a lip for the seal to sit on

4- lid sits on filter and leaves opening for ram air effect

Don

Since your adding the Ram Air with aftermarket intake and carb, the biggest challenges I see are hood clearance, linkage clearance and insuring you have all the vacuum lines correct needed to make it functional. If your using the Edelbrock 2750 intake (I think you mentioned you were in another thead) and don't use more than a 1/2" spacer/(heat shield recommended) under the carb the hood clearance shouldn't be an issue. The linkage clearance (especially kick down) will depend on the carb you're using and may require a work around. The Ram Air air cleaner is huge and there's not much room under it...in fact it'll hold in heat around your carb which could contribute to carb percolating issues, especially if your running an Edelbrock carb. These observations are from first hand experience and items that many who are switching to a Ram Air system on our cars don't consider before taking the leap.

The cool factor is worth it if done right, ie. hood closes correctly, no carb percolating issues, no binding carb linkage and the Ram Air system "functions" as designed.

Jim

What heatshield and where do you put it. I have the 1/2" spacer but the only heat shield I have is the one on the power steering line and the fuel line I installed to keep them from overheating.

Cjpony has it for 20% off and free shipping.

What heatshield and where do you put it. I have the 1/2" spacer but the only heat shield I have is the one on the power steering line and the fuel line I installed to keep them from overheating.
I should have said heat insulator gasket since it tends to insulate the carb from the intake heat. I believe I used Edelbrock's 9266 performer gasket (?) Double check for your carb, it did resolve my percolation issues. Your 1/2" spacer is probably metal which doesn't do as good of job as a special heat insulator gasket of that height.

Jim

Since your adding the Ram Air with aftermarket intake and carb, the biggest challenges I see...

These observations are from first hand experience and items that many who are switching to a Ram Air system on our cars don't consider before taking the leap.
What an outstanding reply. This is why I joined this forum..."first hand experience".

Personally, I will be getting a NON FUNCTIONAL ram air hood. It will be the one and only thing that is non-functional.

No. My spacer is phenolic. I figured that metal would radiate or trasnmit the intake heat so I wanted anything but metal. Thats why I wrapped the fuel line and power steering lines with a racing type heat shield. They both run near the exhaust manifold on the left side of the engine(right side if looking from the front of the car). Heat is never a good thing. Best reason for ceramic coated headers and as much composite materials as well as alluminum on the engine. I am going to build my own heat riser for the right side to tie into the snorkle when I have more time.

Thanks to reading the posts on ram air on this site and some advice from a few folks pm's I was able to fit the air filter on my "H" code while using an Edel 2750 intake & Edel 1406 carb & 1/2" spacer without any problem. I had to modify an extra snorkel I had laying around to fit while using the monte carlo bar because I'm unwillingly to remove the bar. I had the snorkel media blasted and then took it to have it powder coated antique silver & clear coat. It ends up with silver & black veins to match the monte carlo bar & export braces. You can't tell how good it looks in the lousy pics I took so I included a pic of one of my tanks from my 07 GT (which is done the same) so you can see how it really looks.

100_1015.jpg

100_0326.jpg

Latest posts

Back