Rare 1972 remote electric trunk latch? or home made? no pictures of a switch.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Man

Reaction score
My Car
1972 351Q Mach
1971 302 Fastback
Saw this picture of a electric trunk latch on a 72, is it home made or factory? No idea have never seen one.

1709389010318.png

I would think the 1969 kit would be identical? I am going with homemade, looks like the same solenoid that people used for shaved door handles.

I'm going with some sort of home made job. The 1969 fairlane one is posted above. Then 1980s crown vic ones look the same and are known to work on mustangs up through 73. I dont believe ford would have switched the style to this bulky thing and then switched back to the original style.

I’ve been down this road. I have a security system with a key fob and a trunk popper. I made the trunk release latch mechanism with guitar string and the solenoid for the aftermarket trunk popper kit. It worked fine for a while but now I have to push the button a few times before it will release. The guitar string is probably stretching. Anyway I saw a different latch assembly with a little lever attached for other fords of that same era that was used for trunk release. I have purchased one and believe it would have saved me a lot of time vs trying to get the original one to pop with my solenoid. I go it on eBay.just trying to be helpful

Attachments

• IMG_1338.png
    IMG_1338.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
The one posted by Graham Man sure looks like a homebrew to me. There was an 70s or 80s Lincoln trunk latch that was a direct bolt in with an integrated solenoid. I *think* it was the Versailles latch.

Back