Rear Seal Leak?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the end of the axle in the center. 31 spline will not have an oblong indented area in the center with a round mark. It will look like the picture in this sight toward the bottom. In case there was anything else you wanted to know!

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
The last time I had wheel and brake drum off I recall the axel appeared more like the 28 spline axle (oblong indented area) than the 31 referenced in the material in your link. Of course at the time I wasn't aware there were different spline counts. The tec who installed the axel seal said it was a 31 spline and put a seal intented for a 31 spline on it but from the material I would have called it a 28 spline due to the oblong indented area.

Pic of 28vs31 Spline from linked material28vs31spline.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Totalled makes a good point. Next time you are under the car look to see if there is a large "N" cast on the center section housing at the top. Also look to see if the small thin steel tag is there. ...
OK crawled under the car just now and took a couple of pictures. I couldn't get a few of the center section at the top since there is no room but did get a pic of the tag (after cleaning the grease and dirt off best I could) plus found out the pinion support is stamped C5AW-4668-A. Also saw a stamp "DIF" on the casing, I then got claustrophobic and crawled out from under it.

Jim
Jim, IF the tag reads WES-AA2 it is correct for 1971, 3.00:1 open, 351 2 or 4V. I believe the date code in the upper right is 1970 (0), October (K, I is not used), fourth week (D). Do you know the production date of the car? The C5AW-A is for a standard pinion support not a "Daytona" pinion support used in N case 31 spline carriers. It could be the work of a PO or maybe a factory anomaly. Chuck

Jim, IF the tag reads WES-AA2 it is correct for 1971, 3.00:1 open, 351 2 or 4V. I believe the date code in the upper right is 1970 (0), October (K, I is not used), fourth week (D). Do you know the production date of the car? The C5AW-A is for a standard pinion support not a "Daytona" pinion support used in N case 31 spline carriers. It could be the work of a PO or maybe a factory anomaly. Chuck

Chuck, Marti report based upon the VIN shows a 12/10/70 build date and a 3.00 Standard Axle Ratio, 351-4V engine. The original seller told me the whole driveline was original to the car, I've confirmed the engine is by checking the partial VIN on it but haven't checked the transmission, not sure where to start looking.

Martireport.JPG

rptMain_229.pdf

Attachments

• rptMain_229.pdf
    309.2 KB · Views: 4
On the top of the transmission in about the middle behind the bell housing
No wonder I couldn't find it, but still can't figure out a way to check it without dropping the transmission. Used a camera with a flexable scope to get a pic of the VIN number on back of the engine but not enough room above the transmission to use it there.

Jim

I'm not trying to dispute any claims here but as time has gone by, many owners have changed things and not mentioned (or admitted) anyting was changed. My best guess is even though owners say the car is completely original, they might not be 100% correct. I knew of a 71 429 SCJ car that was strippped of all its good drivetrain components, which were replaced by a broker/dealer with a very strong running 460 & C6 --- and the new owner was happy - not realizing the true issues with the car's originality. I heard "he never asked"... wow. And then there was the 429 CJ car that had a Torino motor - it was 'said' to be all original but many knew otherwise.

The BUYER BEWARE clause becomes very important when looking at a vehicle professed to be one way or another.

So - just saying both sides of this possibilty should be considered. Either factory anomoly or owner(s) unknowingly mistaking their cars to be a certain way.

Sorry - wasn't trying to hijack this thread...

Ray

Chuck, Marti report based upon the VIN shows a 12/10/70 build date and a 3.00 Standard Axle Ratio, 351-4V engine. The original seller told me the whole driveline was original to the car, I've confirmed the engine is by checking the partial VIN on it but haven't checked the transmission, not sure where to start looking.

The date code on the center section is realistic for the build date of the car. It may very well be the original and no one could prove otherwise. The 31 spline is still "unusual". Chuck

I'm not trying to dispute any claims here but as time has gone by, many owners have changed things and not mentioned (or admitted) anyting was changed. My best guess is even though owners say the car is completely original, they might not be 100% correct. ...Ray
Agree 100% Ray, Buyer beware, but I would have paid what he was asking even if the car didn't the original drive train like he said, that was just a bonus. I would never consider selling it for what I paid for it even if turns out the drive train isn't what I told it is.

But when people ask me about the car "or" if I ever want to sell it, I want to have done my due diligence to be able to say with a certian amount of confidence that it does or does not have the original drive train. So far members have helped me verify the engine is original to the frame and Chuck's input on this thread indicates that the tag on the rearend is consistant with what the Marti Report indicates it should have. The transmission is my last quest.

Jim

Back