Rust repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornpuffer

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang fastback
351 cleveland
My mustang is rusted out from the torque boxes back including the trunk pan, and wheelhouses. Im going to be tackling this in the spring. Can i have some sugestions on the best way i should replace the panels and the order i should install them in. I have the replacement wheel houses, frame rails, and trunk pan. thanks nate

7.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

22.png

23.png

24.png

you need to build a jig to locate, position & hold everything in place..without it or a frame machine your done before you start..BEFORE you cut anything out get the car unibody leveled on a flat platform...Then build a jig out of 2x2 boxed steel that conforms to the existing rear rails at numerous points along the entire length...& ties into a known good point past where the new rails will go..To be frank if you have never done this type of work, without the correct tools & knowledge it might be cheaper & better in the long run to have a pro do it.

^^^ What he said - Q's the man! ::thumb::

Wow - I'm amazed that rear end hasn't folded up like a pocket knife by now, based on how bad those frame rails appear.

Good luck! Follow Q's advice, and you will have success... it's worked so far for me. ;) :D

I totaly agree with "Q"

you should have a Pro atleast install the frame rails to get them positioned correctly, and I don't think it would cost much more to pop the rest of the panels in while they are at it.

like "Q" said, your Done before you Start.

These guys did my car about 10 yrs ago, the best investment I did.

they are Located in Providence RI, near Cranston, http://www.autorust.com/

and here are the Pics of my car on their site

http://www.autorust.com/go0.html

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to build a jig to locate, position & hold everything in place..without it or a frame machine your done before you start..BEFORE you cut anything out get the car unibody leveled on a flat platform...Then build a jig out of 2x2 boxed steel that conforms to the existing rear rails at numerous points along the entire length...& ties into a known good point past where the new rails will go..To be frank if you have never done this type of work, without the correct tools & knowledge it might be cheaper & better in the long run to have a pro do it.
Okay thanks for the advice. I haven't started cutting anything out yet so its not to late. I'm probably going to look around for some shops in my area soon

Latest posts

Back