SBC in my 71 coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0c2554404850a1786d5d863c980f4f5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the SBC is a good engine. Lot's of aftermarket support and compact. It's one of the reasons they are popular for a lot of swaps including the early fords.

That being said it seems like a lot of extra work in our big bay engine compartments. But I am cool with it. I like different and I really like it when people are into their cars. I might not agree with everything people do but I love the hobby.

The coupe was a parts car I got and didn't plan on keeping but iv got this 429 almost finished and a powerglide to go in it. Gonna try and race with it. Easier than finding another Cleveland motor up here and matching that power with it. I copied Shafiroff racings motor build to a T for 700hp. Even a dart sportsman block. Excited to rip

Damn! I'm envious about your shop!!

Seriously though, you will get all the help you need here to complete your project(s). You are obviously very proficient and capable to pull off anything you want to.

Keep the pictures coming.

Geoff.

The mach 1 actually running driving and road ready. id like to switch to discs in the back but don't need to as the drums work fine (just wanna do it for looks) other than that and putting my Lexan windows in along with finding some rear interior panels the cars ready to be driven this summer. Not many Mach 1s DRIVING in Anchorage Alaska. I talk too the guys I see them sitting in the yard for years though and they don't wanna let them go. I don't blame them iv sat on this yellow mustang a long time working my ass off to get to where I can get a place to put it in and work on it. The Business had to come first though. I don't have a garage at my apartment so it's been a long road of hauling it around and telling myself I'll get it done.

Very excited to finally get to enjoy this thing.

As for the parts coupe. I picked that up for the doors lol as why the doors on the mach are a completely different color. It turned out to have a lot of charm this Coupe and is a complete car minus the doors now and engine and transmission and I sold the hood, of course more body work is in store. The Coupes gonna get glass doors and hood maybe fenders also. I'd like to be able to race it with this Shafiroff motor and be somewhat competitive with a lot of practice. Now if work will just slow down a tiny bit I'd have more time to commit to the car. Fortunately I'm about done buying stuff for the Mach 1. Iv got to put in the time and finish the back half of the car so It's purify. I also wrap cars so the black sheet that's on top in the pic is the 3m matte black I'll be doing. The back half and roof of this car are gonna be the hardest wrap iv ever done with so many contours and just large space with no body line breaks. I'll be making some butt edges for sure

Well this is what happens when people are scared of making real power, they put in Chev engines, lol. While I hate seeing different makes of engines in the make of vehicle, I understand why people go with the SBC. The costs of building a SBC are a fair bit cheaper than building a Ford and heaps cheaper than a Mopar. But the costs in building a Cleveland is a lot cheaper nowadays than in the past, but still can't come near a SBC in cost wise. The best thing with a Cleveland though is aftermarket heads aren't needed to make 700+HP as the cast iron factory 4V heads will support those levels easily and some and with a single 4 barrel. The best thing I seen over here was a Cleveland in a Torana (Australian GM) and the GM guys getting all excited seeing this car kicking everything's butts in the off street drags at Powercruise a few years back. But the look on their faces when I told them what was powering it was priceless. Even a mate of mine who's a massive GM guy thought I was BSing him until a look under the hood brought that look of, oh I don't believe someone would do that, lol. As I said, us Ford guys have put up with Chevs in Fords for donkeys years and now some GM guy woke up you guys get all shirty about it, lol.

As I said I'm not really a fan of such swaps (at least it's not an LS going in) I understand totally why people do it, so good luck with it all and remember if you ever want real power, just build a Cleveland for it, lol.

I have a set of 1970 4b heads. Closed chambers and such. Been thinking about trying them and a cam on the 2v motor in my Mach. It runs very well but I'm unsure of the compression ratio or if it still has dished pistons. I don't know how the chamber turbulence would be using a closed chamber head on a low compression piston.

I have a set of 1970 4b heads. Closed chambers and such. Been thinking about trying them and a cam on the 2v motor in my Mach. It runs very well but I'm unsure of the compression ratio or if it still has dished pistons. I don't know how the chamber turbulence would be using a closed chamber head on a low compression piston.

I could be talking out the back of my head here as I'm not that up on engine stuff. There are loads of guys far more knowledgeable than am I, but I'll throw this out there.

From my understanding, the earlier 70 4V heads with date codes before November 70 (L) are likely D0AE-G,H,M,N or R casting numbers located on the underside of the inlet ports. These are probably 62.8cc chambers rated at 11:1. D1AE-GA are early 71 heads and are 64cc chambers at 10.7:1. To be honest, I don't know where Ford got those numbers as the math doesn't add up on the static compression ratio, but that's what they claimed.

On your engine using these heads, it depends on what pistons you have or use and that also depends on the fuel you can get. What is important is the quench height. I run zero deck with a .040" gasket, but I run Keith Black 13cc dished hyper pistons (10:1 approx.) so I can run on 91 Shell gas without ethanol. KB piston are .020" taller than stock Ford.

I'm getting out of my depth here a bit now, but I'll throw it out there that if your heads are stock, you may need to get then machined for 7/16" studs if you want to run a roller valve train, but quite costly. They do make 5/16" direct screw-in studs as a cheapo conversion as an FYI.

If you feel like searching the threads here, top right search box, there will be loads of conversations on engine builds from guys with years of experience. I'm surprised some have not yet chimed in, but I expect they will soon.

Hope that helps a bit more,

Geoff.

For info on date codes and casting numbers, you might like to look at this website. http://www.mustangtek.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The heads have 1 piece valves and screw in studs. I got it with Torker intake and some other Cleveland stuff long ago.

Everyone's probably turned off by the SBC thing lol. I'll make a new post in the engine section for this. Thanks again man. I'll have to go dig those heads out and double check the casting #

The heads have 1 piece valves and screw in studs. I got it with Torker intake and some other Cleveland stuff long ago.

Everyone's probably turned off by the SBC thing lol. I'll make a new post in the engine section for this. Thanks again man. I'll have to go dig those heads out and double check the casting #

Lucky bugger, that'll save you a load of money!!

Latest posts

Back