Sigghhhhh she won't run

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sprint Sportsroof
My son and I loaded up for our first car show in the Sprint today......and she spit, sputtered, blue smoke, etc. I barely got her back in the garage. I had the fuel tank changed last week. Afterwards, the car ran like new.....flawlessly, it idled perfectly and accelerated like it had a 500 horse engine under the hood. Driving around town same thing: flawless. Then all of a sudden last night as I lightly touched the accellerator it shut down. I changed fuel filter again when I got home (Repair shop strained the original gas and put it back in new tank, it was snowing last week and I was too much of a wimp to lie outside in the white stuff)

anyway I am guessing.....guessing, perhaps the fuel pump is malfunctioning...I just ordered a new one I will see if that helps. I am perplexed as it runs prefectly then not at all. The carb is flithy with carbon now. This car sat for last 4 years. Certainly open to ideas. Thanks guys....this is a great site.

Wow, that is weird! Hopefully, you didn't get dirt in the carb floats or anything. I hope the fuel pump fixes your problem!

Can of carb cleaner couldn't hurt...spray it while she is running. She'll snort, snarl and smoke like hell, but it should get any dirt in the carb out.

I bet there is some gunk in the carb. To check the fuel pump you can disconnect the fuel link at the carb and put in a small container to catch the fuel. Have someone turn the key and see if the fuel comes out the line. Have a fire extinguisher handy in the rare event something happens - safety first. :)

Can of carb cleaner couldn't hurt...spray it while she is running. She'll snort, snarl and smoke like hell, but it should get any dirt in the carb out.
That couldn't hurt, but would have to spray the carb internals with the cover off. If careful you woulnt need a carb rebuilt kit however, that may be a good idea too.

I think it was running fine then a bump caused a piece of curd inside the carb to break loose and blocked off a passageway, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
When i first got mine, it started acting up hesitating starving for fuel and finally shut off and would not start back up raised the hood and saw the filter was filled with trash so i got a new filter on it and it still would not fire off. So i pulled the line off the carb inlet and it was full of trash. I would pull carb off and soak it and rebuild to be on the safe side

Check the small filter on the inlet of the carb, i change the fuel filter inthe line, my car has an electric fuel pump and also change that one, and nobody knew thill my father in law tell me that maibe it has a small paper filter on the inlet of the carb and it was stuffed with dirt and metal from the gas tank

Back