Snapped thermostat-housing bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Patina...she was a girl in my High School...pretty good looking, too!

When the engine cools off as in during or after driving? Coz the latter is not a big deal no?
There is no air on either side of the thermostat after you fill the system. The little hole in the thermostat just stops the belching of the system getting the air out. If there is air in the block when you first start the engine and the thermostat is closed as normal it holds air. When you start the engine the first time it has to heat up the thermostat enough to open before the air can get out. Without water being around the thermostat nothing to heat it up but the heat from the block. When it does open if you have the radiator cap off it usually spits out antifreeze everywhere because of the air escaping. The tiny hole eliminates all that.

If you are afraid something will happen don't do it. I am certain nothing will happen.

Clear. I'm gonna drill a hole then.

Thanks for the discussin' folks.
The subject has been beaten to death all over the interweb so :whistling:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3695832-thermostat-drill-a-hole-or-not.html

You're not helping Q ;-)

I read the thread though and saw something about filling behind the thermostat first and then topping up the radiator. I'll consider that option...

Everyone is talking about useing a tap for the threads. Wouldn't a thread chaser be better. Cleans up the threads but not as agressive as a tap.

Jim
As a tool and die maker I have never heard the term thread chaser. A tap can be several different configurations from plug to bottom but never heard of a thread chaser. Educate me please, pic would be great.

Everyone is talking about useing a tap for the threads. Wouldn't a thread chaser be better. Cleans up the threads but not as agressive as a tap.

Jim
As a tool and die maker I have never heard the term thread chaser. A tap can be several different configurations from plug to bottom but never heard of a thread chaser. Educate me please, pic would be great.
Your right::thumb:: I think hes confusing the Term or tool "Thread Chaser " with a specific tool made to "chase threads" Most in the know or trades as you said, equate that term to using a Tap to "Chase the threads" Thread Chaser is slang for a tap or nickname for a tap to most in the automobile trade. NOW of course this applies to internal threads. External threads actually do have a specific tool called a thread chaser but most will opt for a die.

Jim
Ask and yee shall receive.

Snap-on sells them, basically a thread forming tap. Probably cheaper to just buy a thread forming tap, the idea is nice, no shavings and minimal damage. Below is a picture from Snap-On

TRT4320A.jpg

I'm about to put everything together but I don't have any anti seize.

Is that really bad?
If you go to your parts store they should have little packets of it if you don't want to buy a container. If nothing else available put some grease on the threads that will help some.

I tore down a van couple weeks back that I built in 1974 and none of the bolts with anti seize on them were stuck.

Alrighty. Went to the store and got Kingston Anti Seize. But not just anti-seize, it is copper grease anti seize.

Is that the right stuff? You see, I thought copper grease wasn't the right stuff. Think I read that somewhere. It says it prevents corrosion, prevents "eating" by threads, reduces required torque, doesnt get washed away and can withstand extremely high temps.

?

Back