[split] Looking for a 71-73 coup deck lid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe (new to me) and just getting started with it.
I found my decklid. Met a guy with a 72 coupe that was about 50% on a restoral. No interrior, but the body was complete. Had been stripped down to bare metal and mostly primered.

Sad part is its being cut apart this week and going to scrap. Even worse is this was a car left behind by a service member who is on his 3rd deployment and is now in Afganistan. he left his car and 3K with a shop. Sent another 3K on his 2nd deployment and apparently the body shop told the kid they needed another 3k to finish the car. The final 3k was sent and then shortly after, the shop went out of business. The car was left behind unfinished in the shop.

So unfortunately the service member is into this for whatever he paid for the car + 9K. The guy I met is now renting the old shop and said he bought the car from the kid for the motor and trans when the guy came home on leave.

Service member took a huge loss and has no car, what a way to come back home from the war.

I hope this guy comes home and is able to locate the shop owner!

I already bought the deck lid, rear bumper and i'm having the floor pans cut out, the tail light panel and the valences later this week. I wish I could take the whole car, but one project is enough for me.

It is shame though since the body is straight and most the work has been done. The only thing left on the shell to do is the cowls.

I'm going to try to get the vin # next visit and will post it. Is there a place to put vins to rest?

Last edited by a moderator:
I split this thread because this is one of the worst rip-off stories I've read. Hope you don't mind, CaptJackD.

Glad you found your deck lid, but if I could find that body shop owner I'd strangle him. :mad:

You can post the VIN in the Registry up on top of the page.

After almost 3 complete tours this is what the Vet came home on leave to find in an abandon auto body shop.

Always remember every story has 2 sides. But I have no reason to doubt the current owner of the shop this car was left in. He is an established business man in other venues. He also said the car drove in.

At any rate it is a sad sad story. Next visit I am going to try to get the vin # to post in the registry as a dead 71-73. after the parts I'm buying are cut off its going to scrap. Minus the engine and trans.

Mike

72coup1.jpg

72coupe2.jpg

72coupe3.jpg

72coupe4.jpg

72coupe5.jpg

72coupe6.jpg

72coupe7.jpg

72coupe8.jpg

It could be. When I found the new owner/renter of the shop he told me he needed space for new projects and he was going to sell the lot for 1200 or part out and send the rest to the yard. I offered to buy the deck lid, tail light panel, both front fenders, rear bumper, and both floor pans. At least I'll keep a few parts out of the crusher.

This story gets better each weekend.

I went back to the new owner to pick up the last of the body parts I had purchased. While we were shooting the shit I mentioned I had recently aquired pretty much an entire interior minus door panels. From another Air Force guy. Well got a funny expression and mentioned the service member had spent over 1000$ on interior parts and had them delivered to his house on post while on deployment. He said he had declined to purchased them with the car. Low and behold I asked if he remembered the service mans name. Small world Same guy.

I still can not believe I was dealing within 2 weeks parts from the car, and parts destined for the same car.

2 weeks ago when I picked up the interior I asked him why he was selling all the parts, I assumed he lost interest, he really didnt say except that he had a bad experience and sold his project.

In the end parts of the car and the new parts destined for the service mans car will end up together in my 73 coupe!... How weird is that.

I wonder if I should email the Air Force guy and tell him... What do you all think? Would he like to know his car is being crushed, or would he be happy that I got the parts for my car ?

Back