Steering and handling upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round tubing is more resistant to torsional twisting then box. Think of your driveshaft. You could do it the other way if you chose to. It is the floor you are talking about. If later on you need to replace the floor there is that much more to monkey with. There are plenty of people making these so you have lots of choices. BTW the floor really doesn't gain you anything, if you are twisting it up, you are bucking your floor and stressing your seat mounts. My seat mounts weighed at good 20lbs each it seemed when I took them out. I put the big girl on a diet too when I did mine. Of course mine is mostly race car now while still street legal.

I would ask Lee. 14:1 is pretty common for street stuff. I wanted mine a little faster so I chose 12:1.

A couple things. When you start going into in dept handling adjustments, the traditional steering box steering system has an advantage over a steering rack - ability to adjust the ackermann. The basic problem with Ford power steering through the 70's is there is a distinct lack of feel and they are overboosted and tend to get loose and sloppy with age. Vague feeling steering is the result. A reworked and properly tuned steering box gets rid of all that. I have been very happy with mine. With the feel and precision it has, I don't see anything to be gained by an expensive rack upgrade.

It sounds great, I think I will try to do the same on my stang.. I thought about, what if you reduce the pressure on the power steering pump, would that be an god idea you think, or is it bad to chance that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back