steering wheel question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 conv. 250 inline 6 black int. orange paint
[url=https://ibb.co/ifut7w][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dHY9fG/IMG_0824.jpg[/img][/url]
i turned on the key to turn the steering wheel  and herd a slight noise not the wheel will not lock any more anyone have pics or ideas of the problem ? where can you get parts if needed

thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
i looked in side the steering wheel  and i see you are right  i do believe the spring has failed the pin will not stay engaged  can i just get a spring or parts or just live with it the way it is  

thanks

I don't know if the actuator assembly can be disassembled, or not, so the spring can be replaced. I have a steering column sitting on the bench in the workshop, I'll try to get out there today and take a look at it.

The good news is that the plunger has a c-clip on the bottom of it that holds it and the spring in the actuator assembly.

It will require either removing the actuator assembly or the top flange casting to access the c-clip. Either one requires loosening the ignition switch enough so the actuator rod is free. Removing the actuator assembly looks like the easiest way to do it, but it requires removing the ignition lock and then the snap ring and washer that holds the drive gear in place. You may be able to find a substitute spring at a hardware store. I didn't measure the ID, OD, and length, but I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
nailpounder, The spring is not available as a service part, but is part of the actuator. There may be some forum members that have one that is looking for a new home. They are still available from Ford but you can probably find them cheaper online at E-Bay, Amazon , ect.

Part number for the fixed wheel is DOAZ-3E723-A, r/b (replaced by) D1AZ-3E723-A, r/b D4AZ-3E723-A

Tilt wheel is DOAZ-3E723-B, r/b D1AZ-3E723-B, r/b D1AZ-3E723-C      

And you can always check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motorcity Mustang.

nailpounder, The spring is not available as a service part, but is part of the actuator. There may be some forum members that have one that is looking for a new home. They are still available from Ford but you can probably find them cheaper online at E-Bay, Amazon , ect.

Part number for the fixed wheel is DOAZ-3E723-A, r/b (replaced by) D1AZ-3E723-A, r/b D4AZ-3E723-A

Tilt wheel is DOAZ-3E723-B, r/b D1AZ-3E723-B, r/b D1AZ-3E723-C      

And you can always check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motorcity Mustang.
thanks for the help and info i will see what i can do

I measured the size of the spring.

OD= 0.291"

ID= 0.247"

Wire diameter= 0.022"

Length= 0.871"

It looks like the spring has been permanently compressed, so was probably originally longer.

The plunger shaft diameter is 0.211"

The shaft length, to the c-clip slot, is 0.913"

The plunger diameter is 0.310"

I also have a '90 F150 steering column, and the ignition switch actuator on it is similar, so I measured it, also.

OD= 0.286"

ID= 0.242"

Wire diameter= 0.022"

Length= 1.037"

The plunger shaft diameter is 0.212"

The shaft length, to the c-clip slot, is 0.910"

I believe that I have found the spring for the F150 actuator, D8BZ-3E696-A

http://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-parts/ford-spring-d8bz3e696a/?c=Zz1zdGVlcmluZyZzPXN0ZWVyaW5nLWNvbHVtbi1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9TEEwMzI0MDUmcj0yMCZhPWZvcmQmbz1mLTE1MCZ5PTE5OTYmdD14bHQmZT01LTBsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Don

I measured the size of the spring.

OD= 0.291"

ID= 0.247"

Wire diameter= 0.022"

Length= 0.871"

It looks like the spring has been permanently compressed, so was probably originally longer.

The plunger shaft diameter is 0.211"

The shaft length, to the c-clip slot, is 0.913"

I also have a '90 F150 steering column, and the ignition switch actuator on it is similar, so I measured it, also.

OD= 0.286"

ID= 0.242"

Wire diameter= 0.022"

Length= 1.037"

The plunger shaft diameter is 0.212"

The shaft length, to the c-clip slot, is 0.910"

I believe that I have found the spring for the F150 actuator, D8BZ-3E696-A

http://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-parts/ford-spring-d8bz3e696a/?c=Zz1zdGVlcmluZyZzPXN0ZWVyaW5nLWNvbHVtbi1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9TEEwMzI0MDUmcj0yMCZhPWZvcmQmbz1mLTE1MCZ5PTE5OTYmdD14bHQmZT01LTBsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Don
thank you again for the help and research very help full

I know it’s an old thread but is there a trick to the reassembly? I can’t get the gear timing right and trying to get the actuator rod to stay on the actuator assembly is near impossible. It just can’t be this difficult. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back