Strut rod crossmember

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robnbama

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach one
Hey everybody. I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 73 Mach One that was wrecked and the strut rod crossmember was bent and will require replacing. Anybody have any suggestions on where I could find one of these? I've tried most of the local Mustang places here in Alabama with no luck so I'm pretty sure it will have to be shipped in. Thanks for any advice.

IMG_7707.jpg

Hey Rob - glad to have ya hear. When ya get a chance, jump on over to the 'Introductions' forum and let us know some more about you and your car.

Unfortunately, those are not 'replaceable' items, meaning there are no reproduction pieces out there to replace them. You'll need to find a good donor car from which to harvest the bracket. Quite a job to swap out that piece, but it's doable depending on your skills and tools available.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted! Put up some pics of the rest of the car - we'd love to see it!

Hey everybody. I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 73 Mach One that was wrecked and the strut rod crossmember was bent and will require replacing. Anybody have any suggestions on where I could find one of these? I've tried most of the local Mustang places here in Alabama with no luck so I'm pretty sure it will have to be shipped in. Thanks for any advice.
You do know that the frame rail is damaged too & will need to be repaired BEFORE you replace the crossmember..You should also check further back on the rail & check the shock tower.. Thats a hard hit it took & the damage may have traveled back further than you think.

You do know that the frame rail is damaged too & will need to be repaired BEFORE you replace the crossmember..You should also check further back on the rail & check the shock tower.. Thats a hard hit it took & the damage may have traveled back further than you think.
I also have those parts if needed.

Good eye! Looks like the radiator core support took some damage as well.

From what I can see it looks like a real clean chassis and may be worth the effort to save. Looking forward to seeing pics of the whole car.

Go ahead and measure your bumper mounts, I'll bet one has collapsed partially from the impact unless it was all under the bumper. IF you have experienced this grab a good set when you find them, they are not reproduced to my knowledge (unless you count the all aluminum ones from Crites)

Hi Rob. Welcome from coastal AL. I've got that part and have it already cut off one of my parts cars.
Hi. Just signed up on the site. I need that same cross member. Did you sell it to Rob already or do you have another? Also there's another cross brace that sits a little further back that probably would sit under the block. do you have that too?

Welcome from North Carolina! ::welcome:: Here is a drawing to use to find out what's what. Remember, measure,measure, measure. And then measure it 1 more time!

frame.pdf

Attachments

• frame.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
I also need to replace this crossmember on my 73 mach1. I just hae once questionn though. Is the cross member and the radiator support all one piece? If so I have found a website that sells this part. I just hant had the time to tear everything out and look yet. Thanks

The cross member and rad support are not the same

Item #3640J

71-73 RADIATOR SUPPORT - Core support for Coupes and Fastbacks. Reproduction.

When I get to a computer ill post a link of what I'm talking about and see what you think.

Welcome to the site! I'm not a body man so take this with a grain of salt. A good frame shop equipped with the proper fixtures may be able to straighten the frame and strut rod brace. Just an idea. Chuck

Welcome from Houston, Texas! Don know what he is talking about. That part isn't reproduced (like a lot of our chassis parts) and is only available good used.

I'd also suggest checking the front frame rails and the front floor pans for any wrinkles and measure, measure, measure.

I bet there's further damage based upon how hard that hit was.

Best of luck to you on this repair, It can be done. Looks like you have a good base to start with.

Back