Subframe Connectors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
Hello,

I had bought some bolt on subframe connectors from John's Mustangs. Two things, they sent the one for the 65-70 subframe connectors. Darn! Number two! My question is, has anybody bought and used this set? I noticed on the rear spring eye bolt connector, there is a metal triangle for support that is going to have to be either modified or removed.

Yes, I know weld in would be better, but the bolt in has really worked well for me!

Thanks!

mustang7173

Initially I ordered subframe connectors along with the super suspension kit from Laurel Mountian. Everything has worked out fine except the subframe connectors, we couldn't even figure out how they were intended to work ! They were the bolt on boxed in style.

I returned them and bought tubular weld on ones from Global West, there was a world of difference in the quality and craftmanship. They welded right on and look great.

Just my two cents worth.

I just recently removed my bolt on sub frame connectors after 16 years of good service. I always intended to weld them in which is always preferable, but I'm glad I didn't for what I'm planning. I'm not using leaf springs any longer so I am going to tie the chassis together differently. They are Competition Engineering IIRC. The receipt from ASAP has the Part # C/E3140.

Hello ,

I have received my new Sub frame connectors from Mustangs Unlimited and they are nice. The only issue I have is the back end are not sealed. I might have to look into welding a plate on the back. I found the custom make it yourself on line. Nam they are nice. But to track down the materials and tools would have been a bit of a problem. I plan to temporarily install one place this weekend. I will respond back with results.

mustang7173 :D

* This Not a product review*

[attachment=12396][attachment=12397][attachment=12398][attachment=12399]

Hello,

I had bought some bolt on subframe connectors from John's Mustangs. Two things, they sent the one for the 65-70 subframe connectors. Darn! Number two! My question is, has anybody bought and used this set? I noticed on the rear spring eye bolt connector, there is a metal triangle for support that is going to have to be either modified or removed.

Yes, I know weld in would be better, but the bolt in has really worked well for me!

Thanks!

mustang7173

After seeing those, I am so glad I got the global west ones.
Not to be rude but I was thinking the same thing about mine.

I don't know how much of a price difference there is. But I do love my GW ones. Click on 'my garage' go to modifications and there is a pic of them.

Hello To All,

Spent Saturday afternoon testing the sub frame connectors and I am not happy with the fit. They will work with some modification. They came with several bolts with two 1/2 inch bolts that bolts to who knows what. I believe that most of the sub frame connectors from vendors and are for the 65-70 mustangs. The Global West are rally nice. I will update thread shortly. I will be calling Mustangs Unlimited to tell them that they do not fit well.

mustang7173

Good luck, I've had good experiences with Mustangs

unlimited they should do you right. Then go get the Global West model, you won't regret it.

If the product is not specific to 71/73 mustangs it will not be a clean fit. The Global West was very specific to 71/73 and maybe even convertibles (it has been a long time). I do remember sliding them into place before taking them to a shop to have them welded. Perfect fit out of the box. Obvious where they were supposed to connect. The install is clean and they work great.

Hello OpiemusRex,

Ok-I have to eat some crow here. I am returning the Mustangs Unlimited Sub frame connectors due to lack of poor instructions with pictures, not quite long enough, looks like they are made for 66-70 mustangs and are listed for convertible. :(

So, the I am going for the Global West. Thank You for your two cents worth.

mustang7173

Initially I ordered subframe connectors along with the super suspension kit from Laurel Mountian. Everything has worked out fine except the subframe connectors, we couldn't even figure out how they were intended to work ! They were the bolt on boxed in style.

I returned them and bought tubular weld on ones from Global West, there was a world of difference in the quality and craftsmanship. They welded right on and look great.

Just my two cents worth.

Hello OpiemusRex,

So I went to the Global West Site and found the Subframe connectors. When you hit checkout, they are listed as 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970 Mustang Subframe Connectors (Non Convertible) part # 911. Is this one you ordered?

Thanks

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello ,

I have received my new Sub frame connectors from Mustangs Unlimited and they are nice. The only issue I have is the back end are not sealed. I might have to look into welding a plate on the back. I found the custom make it yourself on line. Nam they are nice. But to track down the materials and tools would have been a bit of a problem. I plan to temporarily install one place this weekend. I will respond back with results.

mustang7173 :D

* This Not a product review*

Hello,

Thanks!

mustang7173

i have these as well, however if you plan on using CALVERT TRACTION BARS you will only be able to use the bottom hole and even then, you'll need to use alot of washers and grind at the subframe some to make clearance.

i will however, get a hole saw and make a hole in the subframe connector on the side so i can use the top hole on the traction bars.

Good input Olie. I have the under wheel traction bars which I believe are also global west. They fit up just right.

Anyone interested can click on my garage and then see the pics in modifications.

I had them both installed at the same time. YEARS AGO. LOL. It's important that the place doing them puts your car on a lift that supports the wheels and not the frame. Your frame will bend slightly on a lift. Also, if I remember correctly, TIG/MIG or some special welding is needed. The combo works great. The under wheel shelby style traction bars are well worth the investment. NO and I mean NO wheel hop on accelleration and, more important, breaking. NO HOP. The car is so much more sure of itself and so much more predictable. The cost is less than your insurance deductible. I would recommend it to anyone on the board who drives theirs on a regular basis. If you have a convertible the subframes are a 'must do'.

i have these as well, however if you plan on using CALVERT TRACTION BARS you will only be able to use the bottom hole and even then, you'll need to use alot of washers and grind at the subframe some to make clearance.

i will however, get a hole saw and make a hole in the subframe connector on the side so i can use the top hole on the traction bars.
Which bars do you have xoliex? I'm planning on global west connectors and calvert bars.

I am really happy with the GW traction bars. No fitment issues with their subframe connectors on my convertible. The Calvert look nice, they are adjustable and you can pre-load them. It looks like they take advantage of the leaf spring mount, I don't know if there is an advantage to that or not. The GW have a separate mount that gets welded to the frame.

Latest posts

Back