Temp primer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Chevelle 454 SS
2005 Magnum RT
2008 Colorado
What type of economical primer should I use to keep the surface rust off for the year or two in humid North Carolina? I know it's going to take me at least that long to finish cutting it up and welding in the new stuff plus drive train and interior. I know whatever I use, I'm going to end up sanding down later. Any suggestions?

If it is on bare metal a lot of guys use Picklex 20. That is what I plan on doing. Be careful if you use primer. Some of them are porous and allow moisture through. Epoxy would be your best bet but I know it is not the easiest to work with. FYI they are now making real 2K primers in aerosol cans. A little expensive if you are doing the whole car but might be worth considering.

If it is on bare metal a lot of guys use Picklex 20. That is what I plan on doing. Be careful if you use primer. Some of them are porous and allow moisture through. Epoxy would be your best bet but I know it is not the easiest to work with. FYI they are now making real 2K primers in aerosol cans. A little expensive if you are doing the whole car but might be worth considering.
+1 on that... most primers are not ment to be exposed to humidity.. they are just a base for paint on it and i dont think it would prevent the car to rust...

Epoxy is for sure the way to go in this but if it is expensive (in uruguay you´ll need 200 to 300 bucks to use epoxy all the way) you can use any laquer paint on the car, just to cover the bare metal wih something waterproove

Was on the phone with Qcode351mach and this is what he's recommending. Of course after talking with him and looking over the car, I still have some work to do before I use this stuff but definetly looks the way to go.

Mark,

The rust bullet is going to be for all your inner structure like inside the frame rails where you removed the trunk floor..Inside your passenger compartment..Inside your doors..inside the roof..& under the car if you like..Mostly areas that are not seen..Or areas that you have open now to do work but will be closed up with no access after you repair them. The epoxy primer will be used on all your EXTERIOR work like where you just sanded your roof the outside of the doors..the outside of the quarters..I would use the epoxy under the hood ..under the trunk lid..etc. The epoxy is extremely easy to use & very very cost effective !!! JUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE T !!

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/tec...Manual.pdf

Scroll down to the instructions for the epoxy

Scott

Was on the phone with Qcode351mach and this is what he's recommending. Of course after talking with him and looking over the car, I still have some work to do before I use this stuff but definetly looks the way to go.

Mark,

The rust bullet is going to be for all your inner structure like inside the frame rails where you removed the trunk floor..Inside your passenger compartment..Inside your doors..inside the roof..& under the car if you like..Mostly areas that are not seen..Or areas that you have open now to do work but will be closed up with no access after you repair them. The epoxy primer will be used on all your EXTERIOR work like where you just sanded your roof the outside of the doors..the outside of the quarters..I would use the epoxy under the hood ..under the trunk lid..etc. The epoxy is extremely easy to use & very very cost effective !!! JUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE T !!

Scott
LOL any free samples available? :p

Mark,

Scott
T free samples? Your car is done with it's body work & paint..Must be your famous saying "If it's free, it's for me" ::tease::

Now get back to work & get that baby DONE !

Mark,

Scott
T free samples? Your car is done with it's body work & paint..Must be your famous saying "If it's free, it's for me" ::tease::

Now get back to work & get that baby DONE !

LOL Yep :D

Back