Tig weld Vs Mig weld on sheetmetal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1976 Ford F150 4X4
1994 Caprice Wagon LT1
2004 Ford Focus ZX5
Was wondering if anyone on here Tig welds, and if so Do you Tig sheetmetal. What are your thought opinions and any thing else on the subject. Thanks in advance Dennis

Both can be good for very different reasons. Tig welding can use less filler rod and less heat in the hands of a skilled welder. It takes tons of practice. Mig welding has a much shorter learning curve. Use caution with both on sheetmetal or it'll warp badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely! I practiced on some extra (if there is such a thing in what we do) metal and did some things just to see it warp( like a 2 inch bead) because I had never done this type of welding before. Found out with the right heat you can basically spot weld moving from 1 area (corner) to another and back as the beginning one cools. Guarenteed not to warp that way.

Absolutely! I practiced on some extra (if there is such a thing in what we do) metal and did some things just to see it warp( like a 2 inch bead) because I had never done this type of welding before. Found out with the right heat you can basically spot weld moving from 1 area (corner) to another and back as the beginning one cools. Guarenteed not to warp that way.
+1 to Mark. As long as you spot weld back and forth with either style, it will have less chance of warping. Also use magnets to hold in place so it doesn't move and is even with the surrounding metal while you tack in place. I've done both, but more mig with my last job as I built trailers and did a bit of body work on the trucks we had.

Not many tig welders in 7173 land looks like. Anyone actually Tig on a regular basis in this group lets hear your thoughts. Im very interested for various unrevealed reasons. I saw it written on a welding forums "Mig is for welders, Tig is for craftsman" Do you agree? Thanks for the replies toolman marks73 and droptop.

I used to tig weld regularly in a previous career, it definately requires more practice with both technique and set-up. I would agree the prefferred method among car builders and skilled tradesmen is tig. The heat can be much better controlled with tig. I have a friend who can tig weld a pop can back together... it's pretty cool to watch!

If I could afford a high quality welding rig I would buy a water cooled tig machine.

I saw it written on a welding forums "Mig is for welders, Tig is for craftsman" Do you agree?
That's pretty accurate. I found Mig is more forgiving while Tig is better for metal such as stainless steel but requires more skill to get it right. I actually got my welding certifications through the High School I went to, it was two year program, not sure if they do that anymore. Mig welding is a skill where Tig is more of an art.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use both regularly at work but not on sheet metal. We usually use tig for stainless and aluminum welding That needs to aesthetically nice. Hand rails and stuff. But both can be used on sheet metal with the same effect. As everyone stated tig is way harder to learn. Takes a lot of practice and a steady hand.

I agree with the craftsman statement. Tig produces a lot less spatter. And has a better bead in my opinion. Also like someone mentioned, you can control the heat better, which will have a better product in the end.

Guys,

I can agree with the craftsmen statement with the Tig welding, it is a skill in itself. The mig can be picked up and used easily with very little training with good results. I would still insist that any structural welding on these cars or any car be performed by a trained professional, period..... I am a pipefitter / welder by trade, now hvac project manager and learned to weld while going to technical high school. I do a lot of fabrication & repairs and use both mig & tig all the time. I could not make a lot of mounts, brackets,body repairs, etc without the availability to have & use both types, in my opinion.

Thanks, Jay

good info gents, thanks much. Keep in mind this is your opinions about these two types of processes. No wrong answers here. Im collecting some info that will help in the education of one of my Sons, Jonah the 16 year old. I wont reveal anymore at this time because I want to get a good sampling of opinions. By the way your opinions and experience mean a great deal to me. Don't assume your replying to someone who has no experience thats not what the collection of information is deigned for. The responses so far have been very helpful. Thanks again

I was 52 when I went to night school at the local VoTech to see if I could learn MIG welding. The instructor knew mostly stick welding, but had some experience in MIG. He showed me the equipment, and let me at it. In 2 months time, I could weld like a pro (sometimes) or weld like a monkey (so awful I had to stop and walk away in shame). But with a bit more experience, I can weld like nobody's business on this thin sheet metal. If I can do it, anyone can.

Someone else in the class knew how to TIG weld, and demonstrated it for me. It was way too involved (two hand work!) and required finesse (which at times I don't have). The machine was also twice as expensive as MIG, so I decided to stay with MIG.

The other aspect of welding that almost never gets mentioned is you also need to learn how to work metal: shaping, bending, etc. It's pretty much a lost art these days, but there are still those that can teach it. Q has some good videos of metal working, but I haven't seen him use a dolly/hammer or an English Wheel. Industrial welding doesn't use these skills, but auto body work certainly does. Most of our work involves patches or fabricating pieces that don't exist. This aspect of work (for me) is the most satisfying, because it reduces the necessity of welding, grinding, and body filler if done right.

I guess what I'm saying is that selection of a welding machine is highly dependent upon your ultimate use, skill level, and comfort level.

Latest posts

Back