trade the 72 Mach for a 69 Mach????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I have a 72 Mach 1 351CJ, 4 speed, AC, project car. Its a 1 of 1 optioned car per my MARTI report. Body is solid and has new floor pans. It needs paint and interior. I have a chance to trade for a similar condition 69 Mach 1 with a 351W auto. Why should or should I not do it?

Why does the other party want to trade?

Do you like '69s better than '72s?

How original is the '69 drivetrain, or are you going the restomod route?

Sorry for the questions in answer to your question, but more information is needed.

Why does the other party want to trade?

Do you like '69s better than '72s?

How original is the '69 drivetrain, or are you going the restomod route?

Sorry for the questions in answer to your question, but more information is needed.
Just for the heck of it I put the 72 out on CL and said I would trade only for a 69 or 70 I would not sale.  A guy sent me a text and said he would rather sale but might would be interested in a trade.

I have always wanted a 69 but a 72 was my first hotrod and this one is a numbers matching 4 speed car.  The 69 is an auto that I would have to convert to manual

The 69 has the origional 351W motor but I have a 460 I would probably put into it and make it a boss 429 clone.

I think you should closely look at the cost of building a Boss 429 clone and what it would be worth when done. I think it is ill advised. It takes a lot more than a 385 series engine, big hood scoop, and a set of decals to make it a clone. A properly restored 1969, 351W Mach1 is likely worth more. Just my opinion. Chuck

Having not seen either car in person to truly judge the condition it is impossible to make a determination of value of the trade. However I have to agree with C9ZX that the Boss 429 clone is likely a poor decision based on a financial perspective, that being said if you have the funds to complete such a build and that is what you want to drive and not the value then it may be the way to go. Again it is all about what you want in the end. Personally a numbers matching Q code 4 speed Mach 1 built correct (not to read concourse) would be my choice as I like to drive them.

Wait nevermind, I wouldn't personally do a clone though, just embrace the car for what it is, unless you put a four speed in it, then appreciate it for what it is with a four speed

I guess I should have said I wanted it to look like a BOSS 429.  The motor would be a 460.  I have to do some research and see how hard it will be to change it from a automatic transmission to a manual.  If I cant make it a manual transmission car I will just keep my 72 and keep a 69 4 speed on the bucket list if I can ever afford one.  lollerz

I am waiting to hear back from the guy with where he is located so I can go see his car and set up a time for him to see mine.  My car is too solid to trade for a basket case 69 so will just have to see what it looks like.  From the pics he sent me it seems pretty solid but who knows what it looks like in person.

I guess I should have said I wanted it to look like a BOSS 429.  The motor would be a 460.  I have to do some research and see how hard it will be to change it from a automatic transmission to a manual.  If I cant make it a manual transmission car I will just keep my 72 and keep a 69 4 speed on the bucket list if I can ever afford one.  lollerz

I am waiting to hear back from the guy with where he is located so I can go see his car and set up a time for him to see mine.  My car is too solid to trade for a basket case 69 so will just have to see what it looks like.  From the pics he sent me it seems pretty solid but who knows what it looks like in person.
I would guess that fitting the 460 into the car will be more of a challenge than converting to manual. I converted my 73 to manual and it wasn’t bad at all and from my understanding there is a lot more available for the earlier cars in regards to conversion.

I have not heard back from the guy since he sent me pictures. He must have come to his senses and thought about the values of the 2 cars when you compare them. Oh well its not like I dont love my 72 I just love a 69 a little bit more. I will have one one day.

It is quite a big job to put a 429 or a 460 into any mustang before 71. There is not enough room between the shock towers. That is why Ford built the Boss 9's in a prototype shop. The shock towers are different and lots of changes to barely get them in.

Even the FE engines, 390 and 428 and a few 427's were a bear to work on. You had to take engine mounts loose and jack up the engine to get the number 3 spark plug out. Use to maintain a Cougar that had FE in it. It would fly but what a pain to work on.

If you did change the early model it will take a lot of work and will be worth not much unless original and a windsor does not bring much.

Keep working on the 72.

If it were me (and I too love the 69 fastback) I would build that Windsor. Lighter, many aftermarket parts and likely less costly in the end. Remember that besides everything needed to swap out to the larger motor, there is the suspension to consider.

Back