trunk lid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtassin

Reaction score
My Car
1972 ford mustang Mach 1
Help!

I just installed the trunk lid last weekend. Having problems closing trunk to lock. Also lid sits up about 1/4" high. New rubber seal installed. How can I align it?

Thanks,

Jimmy T.

New w-strip will take time to seat / settle down.

Trunk closed and warm temps will help it. Let it sit for a week or so, then adjust if need be.

Adjustments are made with

shims on hinges

OR

raise / lower catch

Latch will have side to side adjustment.

took my trunk almost a year before the new seal relaxed enough for proper adjustment.

there are body shims, i know AMK products sells a set. for my trunk lid i ended up buying thick washers from home depot because i ran out of the horse shoes the washers were better since they could not fall out while i was tightening bolts, also i bought them in different thickness to play around with the final fit.

My new seal is on the car for abouth 9 months now , still doesn't fit right.

I think i'll have to wait till summer come's forproper fit.

So be patience.

JB

Definitely a seal problem... the same happens with doors... in the first monthes or even years, depending on how you have them adjusted and how much do you open/close the door or trunk lid, you have to hit it really hard to close and it doesn't align as good as it should... I HATE THAT! :p

omg the doors the worst thing i ever did was replace the door seal on my passenger side 2 years before that seal relaxed enough that i could finally readjust the door to fit right.

the reproduction seals have tough rubber that is firmer then the original ford seals and take forever to relax.

I went as far as using a heat gun on my trunk seal i heated up the top edge of the seal all the way across the lid area then slammed my trunk shut and put weights on top and left it for a week. it helped but not a lot.

Back