Trunk light wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I have a long green wire that routes to the back of the car but I also have a pug in the harness above the drivers rear wheel well. The trunk light would plug into one but I don't know what the other is for. Any help figuring this out wowould be appreciated.

Jim

20170517_113520.jpg

20170517_113533.jpg

20170517_113509.jpg

The plug shown in your hand appears to be for the license plate light. Chuck

EDIT: link for installation. http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/trunk.htm

I'm working from a 72 wiring diagram. If the circuit is the same, the female end is in the trunk at the striker support. A male end passes through the tail light panel. There should be another wire spliced to the female connector wire. This wire feeds RH rear side marker lamp. Let us know if you get it figured out. Chuck

The plug shown in your hand appears to be for the license plate light. Chuck

EDIT: link for installation. http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/trunk.htm
I have another plus that comes out right at the lic. Plate area?
There's another black/blue wire with a blue female bullet plug that should exit the tail-light harness near the driver's side wheel well.  It is for the courtesy light in the rear sail panel area.  What is shown in your picture is something near the rear bumper area, and that definitely appears to be the license plate female plug; it should have brown or black wires (two going into the female bullet).

I have a long green wire that routes to the back of the car but I also have a pug in the harness above the drivers rear wheel well. The trunk light would plug into one but I don't know what the other is for. Any help figuring this out wowould be appreciated.

Jim
Off topic but I see in the picture of you holding the wire looks like the top of the wheel house on a vert. There should be a piece of padding on the crushed in area that helps let the top well liner not get pinched between the top frame and the wheel house. I used a piece of the 1/2 felt you can get at upholstery shop that goes under carpet and put two faced carpet tape to hold in place. The original was the jute stuff like was under the carpet or a piece of ground up material pressed together.

What did you spray the trunk area with?

If it is a 'vert and the picture is of the driver's side wheel well, just ignore that female bullet, as it isn't used in your model.

If it is a 'vert and the picture is of the driver's side wheel well, just ignore that female bullet, as it isn't used in your model.
Midlife,

I guess in still confused.

So it is the green wire I show on the floor that is for the trunk light harness to plug into. Yes it is a vert BTW so I will ignore the female plug over the driver side wheel well. That's what I'm showing in my hand.

Thanks Jim

Midlife,

So it is the green wire I show on the floor that is for the trunk light harness to plug into. Yes it is a vert BTW so I will ignore the female plug over the driver side wheel well. That's what I'm showing in my hand.

Thanks Jim
Green/yellow wire is for optional trunk light and it ends in the tail-light harness about the same place as the black/blue wire, both in female bullets.  The Tail-light harness was the same regardless of Mustang models (coupe, 'vert, or flatback).  Sometimes, the green/yellow wire was attached outside of the main tail-light harness, but that was primarily 69/70 timeframe, IIRC, but it still may apply for 7123's.

Midlife,

Thanks Jim
Green/yellow wire is for optional trunk light and it ends in the tail-light harness about the same place as the black/blue wire, both in female bullets.  The Tail-light harness was the same regardless of Mustang models (coupe, 'vert, or flatback).  Sometimes, the green/yellow wire was attached outside of the main tail-light harness, but that was primarily 69/70 timeframe, IIRC, but it still may apply for 7123's.
Thanks Midlife

Latest posts

Back