Turn signal and fuel gauge inop.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
So neither turn signal works when I move the lever up or down. No green indicator, no nothing. The fuel gauge also doesn't work. I haven't tried the flashers.

Everything else works, even the green gauge backlighting works at night which is a rare thing. Lol

So what gives & how do I trouble shoot this?

Been having some trouble with china made turn signal switches but that should not effect the fuel gauge, have you changed the turn switch lately? Do you have power on the switch?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had time to check the current or switches lately due to a crazy travel schedule with work these last few months. Just looking for where to start. Hopefully will have some time this weekend to play with the car some.

Don, my fuel gauge wasn't working about a month ago and it turned out to be something so simple I should have checked it first...my connection had some how come unplugged from the tank, it was just hanging down. Plugged it back in and problem solved. Don't see how that would have anything to do with the signals though, unless they're in some way interconnected??? I didn't check my signals so don't know if they were working or not, I just noticed my gauge wasn't working when I did it's monthly winter start.

Jim

Could you be out of gas?

+1 on trying your emergency flashers. It basically uses the same circuitry in the turn signal switch as your turn signals, so if it works, then it is probably your primary flasher or brake switch (which is the power line for the turn signals on the rear) that is the fault.

Agree 100% that there are two separate problems.

Has gas, but good try Randy. :p

The flashers work. Turn signals, nothing. I did find that the fat yellow wire that runs up the steering column has been cut. I believe this the 12v source wire. The blue horn wire is also cut in the same location as the yellow...on the steering wheel side of the connector. If I touch a 12v to the blue wire on the dash side of the connector the horn sounds.

That's as far as I got with it due to work travel & home life.

Has gas, but good try Randy. :p

The flashers work. Turn signals, nothing. I did find that the fat yellow wire that runs up the steering column has been cut. I believe this the 12v source wire. The blue horn wire is also cut in the same location as the yellow...on the steering wheel side of the connector. If I touch a 12v to the blue wire on the dash side of the connector the horn sounds.

That's as far as I got with it due to work travel & home life.
The only thing common to the fuel gage and TS that I can see is that they use a common ground on the left TS. You could actually have 2 seperate issues here. The left and right TS have their own grounds and since both rear lights work I would think that the grounds are ok. That leaves the TS switch as questionable. For the fuel gage you could have a bad float or the gage itself. As Jim mentioned check and see if the connection at the fuel gage did not come off.

I think that you can verify if the float is the issue is to mometarily ground the y-w wire and the gage should go to full. The black wire on the connector is the common grnd.

Just curios if both backup lights work.

-jbojo

About the yellow wire
BTW, the yellow wire feeds pwr to the ignition switch. By what I can see is if that wire is cut the engine should not run because when the ignition switch is in the run position it supplies pwr to the coil and when in the start position it supplies pwr to the starter selenoid to energize it. The selenoid in turn feeds 12v to the coil during starting and to the starter motor.

Just to clarify, the car runs, correct? If so has it been rewired? Just wouldn't make sense how the motor runs with the yellow wire cut unless I am missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yellow wire is power to the horn; blue wire is signal to the horn. The power to the turn signals is a green wire, but it is also tied into the 4 way flashers. The turn signals are powered by the same wires, but are mechanically connected to the turn signals when you move the stalk. I believe you have a bad turn signal switch.

I've had to change my flasher a few times over the years. It is under the dash on the passenger side, nothing is holding it down so it kind of just sits in there, at least in my car. I came to the conclusion it just bounced around too much and breaks it.

Yellow wire is power to the horn; blue wire is signal to the horn. The power to the turn signals is a green wire, but it is also tied into the 4 way flashers. The turn signals are powered by the same wires, but are mechanically connected to the turn signals when you move the stalk. I believe you have a bad turn signal switch.
I guess I should have asked what year we are talking about. I am using the 72-73 factory wiring schematics and it indicates that the horn feed wires are Dark blue and yellow with light blue stripes. I doublechecked the solid yellow and it shows pwr to ignition sw. I attached that part circuitry.

If the car is running Midlife is probably correct since this is his profession and works with these harneses all the time, I am trying to determine now if my schematics are correct since I am depending on it heavily for my rebuild.

-jbojo

SCN_0009.jpg

Yeah, the colors changed somewhere in the 71/73 timeframe. But since Don's car was running, I sincerely doubt his yellow main power line was cut. He was talking about the turn signal switch area, was he not?

Yup...

I did find that the fat yellow wire that runs up the steering column has been cut. I believe this the 12v source wire. The blue horn wire is also cut in the same location as the yellow...on the steering wheel side of the connector. If I touch a 12v to the blue wire on the dash side of the connector the horn sounds.
Horn power (yellow or yellow/blue) is always hot, so some like to splice into that line for whatever. The blue/yellow line (horn out) is often cut because the horns may be on continuously and it's easier to cut the line than it is to disconnect the battery and change out the turn signal switch.

Ya gotta love POs (Previous Owners)!

I've had to change my flasher a few times over the years. It is under the dash on the passenger side, nothing is holding it down so it kind of just sits in there, at least in my car. I came to the conclusion it just bounced around too much and breaks it.
I had the same problem. At the suggestion of someone on this board I bought a heavy duty flasher unit and it has been fine for a while now.

To the OP, try swapping the 4 way flasher unit with the turn signal flasher unit and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back