VIN Number deciphering?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
So I have a 73 convertible which had a 6 Cylinder when I got it.  What information can be obtained from the VIN number regarding my original engine, trans and rear diff?

Thanks, Chet

The VIN will only show what the original engine was, body style and where it was built. The rest of the info will be on the data plate (sticker) on the drivers door. If that is missing, you can order a Marti report with the VIN that will call out the original equipment.

Steve

There is one other avenue to investigate and is the absolute best source for what was on your car. The Build Sheet. The Build Sheet was taped to the car going down the line and told all the equipment that goes on the car. It even has information that the Marti report will not have.

If you have a Special Order car for non Factory paint colors or options they are listed on the lower section of the Build Sheet. When I was doing research on my Six Digit DSO code 73 Vert of course I went to Marti and he responded by telling me that he could not tell me what the Special order included only that it was there and what it cost on the invoice and window sticker.

Build Sheets were put inside the vehicle and not in any one place. Mine was wadded up and stuffed into the seat riser on the drivers side, horrible shape. Have seen under rear seat, under carpet just where ever it might have ended up.

The build sheet is your Golden Rule for your car build hope you find it.

VIN number has the L engine code so it clearly began life as an I6 250 1V Convertible. Can I also assume it came with an 8 inch rear diff and an "FMX" trans? I'm way to cheap to buy a Marti report and I'm not looking to restore it to original. I just want to know what I'm working with.

Chet

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably more likely it should be assumed C4 transmission which handled 6 cylinder and 302 Windsor series engines. C6 and FMX was more 351C and up - big block engines.

Chet, with the 250 6cyl it left Dearborn with a C4 transmission and a 8" differential. With all of it wrapped up in a convertible body the fun quotient was there!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back