What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started removing the old trunk floor to recieve the new one but ran into a possible support issue (see my new thread) But having an new floor in sure wants me to keep going. Also took a pick of my peel and cut method for spot weld removal.

DSCN1447.JPG

DSCN1446.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Started removing the old trunk floor to recieve the new one but ran into a possible support issue (see my new thread) But having an new floor in sure wants me to keep going. Also took a pick of my peel and cut method for spot weld removal.
Air hammer with a nice sharp chisel point works well on those spot welds. Thats what i used on my trunk pan. Looks good keep up the good work!

3 down, 3 to go.

2z68c2x.jpg

OK - back at it hard this weekend. By that, I mean hanging quarter panels is hard! ;) :D

Yesterday, I got the trunk painted with Rust Bullet Black Shell (from my endless gallon that's STILL not empty) between helping other folks at the Hobby Shop. Today, I managed to get the passenger side quarter panel hung (with clamps and magnets) and commenced to tweaking it to fit. Still got a ways to go to get it just right, but I'm really close and figured it would be better to just wait til next weekend with fresh eyes before burnin' any metal.

Here's the trunk. Haven't decided if I'm going to splatter paint it or not, because it's all going to be under carpet anyway:

398994_406896249321299_100000027814872_1500683_1151888831_n.jpg

And here's an early-afternoon pic of the quarter panel with the cheapo Harbor Fright magnets - I got the line-up a lot closer toward the end of the day:

522752_406896175987973_100000027814872_1500682_920878591_n.jpg

OK - back at it hard this weekend. By that, I mean hanging quarter panels is hard! ;) :D

Yesterday, I got the trunk painted with Rust Bullet Black Shell (from my endless gallon that's STILL not empty) between helping other folks at the Hobby Shop. Today, I managed to get the passenger side quarter panel hung (with clamps and magnets) and commenced to tweaking it to fit. Still got a ways to go to get it just right, but I'm really close and figured it would be better to just wait til next weekend with fresh eyes before burnin' any metal.

Here's the trunk. Haven't decided if I'm going to splatter paint it or not, because it's all going to be under carpet anyway:

And here's an early-afternoon pic of the quarter panel with the cheapo Harbor Fright magnets - I got the line-up a lot closer toward the end of the day:

Good progress Eric. Any word on the body shop closing?

Today showed my son how to remove the carburetor on the 71 Mustang, plan on rebuilding the Holley 600 (Model 4160). It has been on the engine for almost 20 years.

Yep those partial replacement panels take a ton of work to install nicely:dodgy:

Looks good E

::goodjob::

Yep those partial replacement panels take a ton of work to install nicely:dodgy:

Looks good E

::goodjob::
I suspected when I was fitting it, that the tail-side of the panel might be about 1/4" too low (as the bumper dimple didn't quite match up with the quarter panel extension), which could possibly fix the taper toward the bottom of the door opening as well. So with about two hours to go toward the end of the day, I cleaned up the stall, walked away, and helped my pal Jim get a '68 Camaro running... I wanted to check some reference pictures before I went any further. I can always reposition the panel, clamps, and magnets after all...
It's your fault, ya know. If you hadn't been so generous with the advice and sharing the videos & pics of how to do this all the 'right' way, I might've already gotten myself into trouble with this. :udaman:

Thanks! Still nothing solid, but it seems like every time I go there during the week (just a friendly check-in with the new manager - Tony - he's a good kid and one of my friends) something new always seems to have developed. Last week, he stood his ground with the Flight Chief and even defended me and my project when the 'interrogation' got out of hand. I was actually proud of him - he normally just says, "Whatever," and walks away.

They keep saying they're not going to close it, but the latest is that the facility manager wants to move Outdoor Recreation Equipment Rental to the building... which means vacating their already-existing warehouse and gutting the shop to accomodate everything. That seems an awful lot like 'closing it someday' to me. I've also heard September-ish on that, but I should be long gone by then.

Tony's applied for the SAPD, and is still waiting for a date to start the Academy... so that part's up in the air... although, they might have someone lined up to take over day-to-day management. Which means it could all change when Tony leaves... maybe... IF they decide to keep it open, or maybe not... IF he doesn't leave. It's maddening.

The higher-management also complains about Jim and I having our projects there (even though we're paying customers), yet when they come up short on help (like when Tony needs a day off), they have no problem tossing out, "Oh, Jim and Eric will be there to help."

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Man that looks awesome!!! ::goodjob:: I've been working on replacing the same trunk pan but had to remove my 4V staggered shock support from the donor car. I'm taking it to work to see if one of our tin knockers can dulicate it with new metal or repair the one I have. :s

Thanks! Hope your friend can get ya what ya need... but if not, I recommend getting the full pan from OMS for a complete replacement. Only if you don't need the forward 6 inches would I recommend getting the short pan from CJ.

Hi from the UK, I posted this on another thread

I am in the middle of a two week holiday and am 'hold up' in the garage preparing the Mach1 for a new coat of paint. Luckily the company who are handling the respray allow me to go into their garage/workshop and work on my car. I'm handling all the stripping out of interior exterior, engine etc.

So far things have been going great, I've found the build sheet and am pleased with facing hardly any rust other than the rear light panel - yes folks the doors are solid, so are the rear quarters. I have all the dash out and the cowls are as good as the day they left the factory. Which is amazing when you consider the car has been sat for 23 years.

It's just small things like the rod that links the light switch knob to the switch. Amazing with the lack of rust on the body this rod has chosen to seiz/rust itself in the switch.

I tried to get the rod out of the old switch but the rod snapped. I have a new switch that I got from a swap meet but no rod. I've tried looking on all the main mustang parts places online but can't find one other than earlier mustang parts.

Is there a 71-73 dealer on the net that holds these sort of parts?

Thanks in advance.

Down to the bones with the dash stripped out.

photo12.jpg

Finding the build sheet

photo22.jpg

This is the outside of the car. the front clip and engine bay has been stripped, sand blasted and primed. The screen and all glass and trim have removed. The Rear of the front wings were sand blasted and primered at the same time.

We are now waiting for the warmer drier weather, then the paintshop will take the whole car back to bare metal before the whole procedure of repainting starts.

photo82-1.jpg

Back