What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New 4 1/2 leafs and Bilstein's installed yesterday. Awaiting a new Napa alternator belt.

Cowl repair!

This is as far as I will take it since my welding skills are mediocre. I need to bribe someone else to finish it up for me. Good news is that the Dynacorn cowl was close enough to make a pretty good patch.

Peter

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

Replaced both upper and lower control arms and the idler arm. Put the big rims back on as I want to have the Magnums powder coated.

IMG_7890.JPG

Fired up, backed out of the garage, and parked it in the sun while we pulled our old fridge out of the utility room (a friend needs a beer fridge for his man cave). Dusted off, fired up, and pulled back into the garage.

Cowl repair!

This is as far as I will take it since my welding skills are mediocre. I need to bribe someone else to finish it up for me. Good news is that the Dynacorn cowl was close enough to make a pretty good patch.

Peter
Did you buy the whole cowl and then just cut the hat area? Can you find just the lower cowl or you have to buy the whole thing?

1971 M-code Mach 1

Cowl repair!

Peter
Did you buy the whole cowl and then just cut the hat area? Can you find just the lower cowl or you have to buy the whole thing?

1971 M-code Mach 1

I bought the whole thing to use a tiny part of it. Got it on sale so it was not totally insane.

Peter

On the flip side I finished stripping all the undercoating and paint off the transmission tunnel and torque boxes. Hope to get some epoxy primer on all this some time soon. Just need to finish up the cowl welding and bead blast everything.

IMG_1559.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowl repair!

Peter
I wonder if we could fit one of the cowl hat repair kits from underneath. It may require a little shaping on the horizontal portion. Can you tell me what's the diameter of the hat measured from inside.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Cowl repair!

Peter
I wonder if we could fit one of the cowl hat repair kits from underneath. It may require a little shaping on the horizontal portion. Can you tell me what's the diameter of the hat measured from inside.

1971 M-code Mach 1

I can at the end of the week. I am away from the car until Thursday night.

Peter

Had sent my original steel wheels into be blasted... I then sent them to my painter who just completed them. I will return the original factory paint daub colours to each wheel and then have the new tires installed, so I can get this thing rolling...

Got the motor and trans pulled out as one unit (sort of) my hoist did not go high enough to clear the entire unit over the rad support so I had to hop in the engine bay and remove the trans from the motor while it was dangling there. Luckily its a T5 and not too heavy. Started degreasing the block. Wow 43+ years of grease is going to be fun.

351c.jpg

Picked up this apparently, "hens teeth" to obtain - non- Mach 1 chrome rear panel trim set, for $40... test fitted ok, now will require some polishing and the inner portion needs to be painted a flat black to match the original. It will suffice for now...

I wish someone would re-pop this particular trim or better yet, an NOS set fall into my lap......

Rear tail panel trim.jpg

Last edited:
Made a media blasting booth out of a couple pop up canopies, three 10x25' rolls of clear plastic and a roll of house wrap tape. We'll see how it works this weekend.

IMG_1655.JPG

Also, the hole in the cowl where the hat is measures 6" ID

Cowl repair!

Peter

1971 M-code Mach 1

6" ID

Back